Chamois Cream..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I have just got some Assos Chamois Cream and as a test run for tomorrow I put some on.. now I thought it would be like Savlon which dries in 10 mins and leaves a light film on your skin, but it stays damp is this right..
How long before you ride do you put it on? and what part is the mucous menbrane on your shorts as its says on the instructions not to put any on this part.

It's a lubricant, so would not be much use if it dried - it's supposed to stay wet and act as a barrier between parts of your skin that are prone to chafing on long rides.

'Mucous Membrane' is part of your dermatology, not part of your shorts - it's a polite way of saying 'don't put any up your ar5e'.

Generally, apply liberally to your nether regions, put your shorts on and go ride...

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
It's a lubricant, so would not be much use if it dried - it's supposed to stay wet and act as a barrier between parts of your skin that are prone to chafing on long rides.

'Mucous Membrane' is part of your dermatology, not part of your shorts - it's a polite way of saying 'don't put any up your ar5e'.

Generally, apply liberally to your nether regions, put your shorts on and go ride...

As I was posting this thread I knew I was asking a bit of a daft question... but I had to ask.. :biggrin:

Cheers..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I use the same stuff. I find it much better putting it on the pad than myself, much more accurate

I'm new to this and I've tried a cheap pair of shorts hence the rash.. but I've now got a much better pair of bib/shorts and cream.
I will try both ways of using the cream and see which way works the best.. you never know a good pair of bib/shorts and I might not even need the cream..

Modern chamois creams are designed to be applied to the skin - applying it to the shorts will just reduce its effectiveness...

DRHysted

Guru
I place it where skin may rub. In very hot weather I also add some on the back of the knee joints, albows and armpits, as the drying sweat started to rub in those areas as well.

KEEF

Veteran
Ooooops I've been taking a spoonful each day..........................

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I find a thin film of Assos mintyarselard on the foot keeps the feet warm in cold weather. But I save the Assos for proper long weekend rides.

Blue Steel Sports anti chafe cream for the commute and for running.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
So the update...
New bib plus chamois cream and all is well.
I've not rode my bike for about 2 weeks due to a visit in the UK then a dash home for the flooding in out village. Went out today with still the remains of the rash from 2 weeks ago and not a problem with the ride at all, I done a 20 miler so if it was going to play up it would of done by then..
Well pleased but I might put some cream on after my shower as well what do you think?

Top Bottom