chamois cream

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Let me start by saying I use sudocrem so I'm not averse to using creams etc. I apply it to inner thighs, groin, back towards the crack (sorry!)... so I don't lather up my botty cheeks. (This is all beginning to sound a bit fetishist!) I use it to prevent rash, chafing, sores, etc.

What I don't understand is how chamois cream could stop a numb backside, as some folk seem to sometimes imply. Am I misreading that implication or will a decent cream, applied to the pad, actually delay the onset of numb bum?

Gooch

yello said:
Let me start by saying I use sudocrem so I'm not averse to using creams etc. I apply it to inner thighs, groin, back towards the crack (sorry!)... so I don't lather up my botty cheeks. (This is all beginning to sound a bit fetishist!) I use it to prevent rash, chafing, sores, etc.

What I don't understand is how chamois cream could stop a numb backside, as some folk seem to sometimes imply. Am I misreading that implication or will a decent cream, applied to the pad, actually delay the onset of numb bum?

I used to use the Assos cream a few years ago after a bad spell with a Selle Italia Saddle that gave me saddle sores. I can safely say that using chamois cream did nothing to stop the sores and nothing to stop "numb bum". My advice would be to invest in a decent saddle. I bought a Fizik Arione saddle and that solved all my problems.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Gooch said:
My advice would be to invest in a decent saddle.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I had a problem with numb bum, just curious at the advice I see sometimes to try a cream for it! ;)

I do get numb sometimes, depending on the ride, but only after 120 - 150km... I wouldn't call that a problem, more like it's to be expected! I just stand for a bit to get the blood flowing again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
yello said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I had a problem with numb bum, just curious at the advice I see sometimes to try a cream for it! :sad:

I do get numb sometimes, depending on the ride, but only after 120 - 150km... I wouldn't call that a problem, more like it's to be expected! I just stand for a bit to get the blood flowing again.
Some chamois creams contain a mild anaesthetic and when applied are like mild deep heat (also feels like you've crapped yourself) this can help on longer journeys or where saddle/pad/arse interface is less than optimal.
Mostly I use Sudocrem much as you describe.

col

Legendary Member
Im not sure how that would feel , could you describe it for me please fab?:sad:

bonj2

yello said:

it can't, but sometimes you get what you think is a numb backside, which is cured by cream, but that's 'cos it is actually saddle soreness. i.e. it's quite easy to mistake saddle soreness for numb arse.

Top Bottom