Champions League

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Tetedelacourse said:
Short answer: Hearts is currently owned by Vladimir Romanov, a Lithuanian banker. He consolidated all of Hearts debt and transferred it to his bank, who earn a nice little interest rate from the debt.

Contrary to his claim that Hearts would win the Champions League within 5 years, and have world class players and management, in fact they have the likes of the washed up and freshly injured Neil McCann, and invited Graham Rix amongst others to run the team.

Braw.

But 'The Boys in Maroon are the pride ay the Toon' surely??????

QuickDraw

Tetedelacourse said:
I don't mind who we get either - would much rather see big teams come and see the bhoys in some of football's most opulent and salubrious arenas than scrape a win over Rosenborg etc.

It doesn't matter if it's a scraped win in the worst stadium in Europe I want 3 points away from home in the Champions League! Anybody from pot 1 is massive and the Bhoys in Rome would be sight worth seeing if we get Roma in pot 2 but for pot 4 I want the 2nd worst team (given that the worst team we're not allowed to play.)

As for Heart of Mid Lithuania they've went down the Chelsea route with a Russian sugar daddy except theirs is totally bonkers. He is still insisting on picking the team and currently has 3 coaches, 1 lithuanian, 1 Bulgarian and 1 Scottish (who incidentally was the year above me at school) and no common language and all their communication has to be done through an interpreter. And these are just recent examples of his insanity - do a search on Vladimir Romanov and Heart. It's hilarious. It won't be long till they're declared bankrupt.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
About time Celtic and Rangers dumped that part-time league they play in and came south of the border. They will never have a chance in Europe because neither are used to playing competitive football week after week. Their prescence would add some spice to the Premier League too.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
It would be fun but turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The Old Firm in the English Premier League would mean 2 places fewer for the likes of Bolton, Fulham and Derby and more competition for the European places.

The Draw? Shakhtar Donetsk again, I see. Lets hope that once bitten means we give them a good doing this time!

mondobongo

Über Member
Sheesh what a long drawn out process the draw was! As a Scouse from the Red side quite happy with the draw, although unlike most years there does not seem to be a particular 'Group of Death'

The Draw seems so clinical that part of me can't help thinking its a done deal, would love to see a proper FA Cup Style Draw no country protection or seeding just 32 names in a bag. But theres no money in that which is unfortunately what the game revolves around these days.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
I'm more interested in the UEFA Cup: Spurs! :biggrin:;)

Me too - Aberdeen.

First time in Europe for 5 years.

QuickDraw

mondobongo said:
...although unlike most years there does not seem to be a particular 'Group of Death'

Are there any Rangers fans on here? I'm sure they might think being drawn against Barcelona and the Champions of France and Germany would qualify a 'Group of Death'.

Celtic are in the Friends Reunited group. Same result as last year against Milan would do and an improvement in our results against Benfica and Shaktar might be enough to see us in the last 16 again.

QuickDraw

Gasman said:
It would be fun but turkeys don't vote for Christmas. The Old Firm in the English Premier League would mean 2 places fewer for the likes of Bolton, Fulham and Derby and more competition for the European places.

You're right but I'd go further. It would mean 2 less Champions League places for Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U to fight over. I know the English don't like to accept that argument but with the Glasgow teams fanbase being of comparable size to Man U and bigger than the others and the international fame of the Old Firm game it would only be a matter of time till they established themselves at the top end of the table.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

QuickDraw said:
Are there any Rangers fans on here? I'm sure they might think being drawn against Barcelona and the Champions of France and Germany would qualify a 'Group of Death'.

Celtic are in the Friends Reunited group. Same result as last year against Milan would do and an improvement in our results against Benfica and Shaktar might be enough to see us in the last 16 again.

I've only seen one - BJB I think.

A bloke I sit next to said we have a really boring group. He's a Hibs fan. Aye knock yourself out mate visiting Love St and the Caledonian stadium again this year ya knob.

QuickDraw

Tetedelacourse said:
I've only seen one - BJB I think..

Maybe they're just lying low given the last couple of seasons performances. Given their resurgence this year and the fact that twice yesterday I called them the worst team in the Champions League I thought some might have broken cover.

Tetedelacourse said:
A bloke I sit next to said we have a really boring group. He's a Hibs fan. Aye knock yourself out mate visiting Love St and the Caledonian stadium again this year ya knob.

Boring??? Possibly not as amusing as watching a Hibs goalie but I don't think going to the San Siro and the Stadium of Light will be described as boring by many people.

I'm looking forward to Scott Brown going toe to toe with Gattuso. Expect fireworks.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Yes I think the indian summer of a hilarious Rangers team is now over. Where the CL is concerned, well expectations are already met - probably for both Celtic and Rangers I think - so might as well just enjoy the next 3 months of games.

getting back to my OP, were all UK teams kept apart or was that just luck of the draw? I always enjoy the "battle of Britain" type fixtures, especially since we've done well in them recently.

Top Bottom