Change from triple to compact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another interesting thing I have noticed is that big chain rings on new bikes seem to have jumped up a tooth to 53 instead of what had always been as far as I can remember 52. Are people getting stronger? Think it might be a bit of willy waving
hysterical.gif
plus it makes the drop on to an inner compact even worse.
My Cannondale has 53/39 rings and when I bought the groupset I specified a 13-29 cassette instead of the 12-25 that was offered me. I knew that I didn't have any need for a 53-12 gear and that a 39-25 wasn't low enough for me. A 53-13 top gear is more sensible, and a 39-29 bottom gear more usable.

My Basso has a 52/39/30 chainset and originally had a 12-23 cassette which I replaced with a 13-26 when it wore out, and now I use a 14-28! Mostly, that is because I've piled the weight on and lost fitness, but partly it is because I can pedal to 35 mph in a 52-14 gear anyway (downhill with a tailwind!) so why do I need higher gears? On long descents, I can freewheel from 35 mph to 55 mph which is about as fast as I dare go. The 30-28 granny gear gets plenty of use on the more monstrous climbs round here.

Once, a bunch of lads overtook me at the foot of the steep Quernmore climb on the Pendle Pedal sportive. As they passed, they poked fun at my triple chainset. A couple of minutes later I span past them as they dismounted and walked their overgeared bikes up the hill! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• hysterical.gif
    hysterical.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 44

VamP

Banned
Just to make the point, last year one of the top duathlon ladies approached me to ask if I thought her gearing was what she really needed, she had a compact. To cut a long story short I fitted her bike with a regular 52/42 set up, she had previously only ever had a compact, after her first ride on the new double her reaction was wow! How much easier and smoother was that! On the back she had a 12-25 cassette, easily good enough to get a strong rider up most hills.
Another interesting thing I have noticed is that big chain rings on new bikes seem to have jumped up a tooth to 53 instead of what had always been as far as I can remember 52. Are people getting stronger? Think it might be a bit of willy waving
hysterical.gif

42-25 is quite a low gear to have as your lowest to push around hilly terrain. I'm not sure I'd fancy that.

Personally, I don't find the compact combination of 50/36 difficult to use at all. Sure, there's times when you need trim out the sprockets following a chainring change, but it's pretty easy to anticipate.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just to make the point, last year one of the top duathlon ladies approached me to ask if I thought her gearing was what she really needed, she had a compact. To cut a long story short I fitted her bike with a regular 52/42 set up, she had previously only ever had a compact, after her first ride on the new double her reaction was wow! How much easier and smoother was that! On the back she had a 12-25 cassette, easily good enough to get a strong rider up most hills.
hysterical.gif
There's not a snowball chance in hell of me getting up a long hill of 10% plus on a 42/25. It's horses for courses. My local hill climb of 11% is about a mile long and I get up it quickest spinning on 30/25 although I could struggle up it slower on a slightly higher gear.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Took out a club rider today who like most newish riders [she had been riding for just over a year] had a compact. I was supposed to be teaching her how to climb hills but the compact was a nightmare to deal with, as someone else has said you go from a slightly too slow a cadence to a manic spin, this completely ruined any rhythm she had. In my humble opinion compacts are a very poor compromise between standard doubles and triples and seem to have appeared about the same time as sportives, I'm assuming to aid the newbie mamils in getting up 5% hills whilst still looking like they didn't need a triple. Weight saving??? Anyone actually picked up a granny ring? Can't be more than 30 or 40 grammes.....oops starting to rant.

I'll agree with that. I find that the difference between the inner and big rings on my 50/34 compact is just too great. As soon as I am spinning up past 15mph I will change up to the big ring, and at the same time drop a gear on the rear, I will begin to grind and struggle. I much prefer triple on my touring bike for the smaller steps between the rings which allows me to keep a good rhythm. I do most of my riding in the middle, 38t, ring and it is only after 20mph that I move onto the big, 48t, ring. I allow myself to spin up beforehand and make sure that I will be able to keep up the speed before changing up. There is still that jump but it is more comfortable and requires no double-shifting. I think that I will invest in a triple when I eventually buy a new road bike.

monnet

Guru
hysterical.gif

Getting stronger - based on no research whatsoever, I'd say no.

Standard double is now 53-39 vice 52-42 (and has been for about 10 years now). The reason being mainly advancing technology. With 10 sprockets at the back, 53-39 allows a wide range of ratios but with very small jumps. On balance 52 or 53 makes little real difference 52x11 is bigger than 53x12 but both are virtually impossible to pedal at any meaningful cadence. As someone who races, I find 53x39 great (though the 39 rarely gets a look in in most races) and in the odd tailwind sprint or downhill the 53x11 does get used.

In answer to the OP, in summer I train and race on a standard double. For everything else I ride triples. My winter training bike has a 52-39-30 whilst the commuter/hack has 50-39-30. I've never tried a compact but what I see of people using them is that they often end up running a lot of chain cross over. A triple offers the best of a double (choose standard 53 or 52 outer, or go lower 50 or 48), a middle ring that you can ride comfortably with the get out clause of a granny.

OP
OP
Enw.nigel

Enw.nigel

I started this thread off because, after having my Focus Cayo triple stolen, I was finding it very difficult to buy a triple 'off the shelf'. More choice with compacts so I thought I might give them a go. However, after reading the comments on this thread, my gut instinct told me that it's a triple I should stick to having ridden one for many years.
I had been looking at the Izalco Pro4 because it has the same geometry frame as the Cayo and I wanted to treat myself after losing my 1st pride and joy.They also do them in race, compact and triple. I downloaded all the Focus Suppliers in the UK from their website and telephoned/emailed 25 of them asking for a triple. Lots of helpful replies with people willing to order a triple but not one in stock until I had an email reply from a LBS in Norwich who had one in stock.
The rest is history. I am now the proud owner of an Izalco Pro 4 TRIPLE which looks much too good for me. The paint finish is superb unlike the natural carbon finish on my previous Cayo. What does it ride like? Time will tell as I'm still getting my riding legs back after being out of the saddle for 3 weeks.
One thing is for sure and that is I am glad I started this thread off, took note of all your replies, and stuck with a TRIPLE. Thanks to you all.

I started this thread off because, after having my Focus Cayo triple stolen, I was finding it very difficult to buy a triple 'off the shelf'. More choice with compacts so I thought I might give them a go. However, after reading the comments on this thread, my gut instinct told me that it's a triple I should stick to having ridden one for many years.
I had been looking at the Izalco Pro4 because it has the same geometry frame as the Cayo and I wanted to treat myself after losing my 1st pride and joy.They also do them in race, compact and triple. I downloaded all the Focus Suppliers in the UK from their website and telephoned/emailed 25 of them asking for a triple. Lots of helpful replies with people willing to order a triple but not one in stock until I had an email reply from a LBS in Norwich who had one in stock.
The rest is history. I am now the proud owner of an Izalco Pro 4 TRIPLE which looks much too good for me. The paint finish is superb unlike the natural carbon finish on my previous Cayo. What does it ride like? Time will tell as I'm still getting my riding legs back after being out of the saddle for 3 weeks.
One thing is for sure and that is I am glad I started this thread off, took note of all your replies, and stuck with a TRIPLE. Thanks to you all.
Good luck with that IMO you have made the right choice. To add to what I said earlier, these days when I am out riding in a group it used to be a mechanically silent affair, nowadays when we get to a hill I hear multiple clunking noises from all the compacts. Long live standard doubles, triples and fixed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Pictures of the new steed please Nigel...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Enw.nigel

Enw.nigel

Photos of my new pride and joy - Focus Izalco Pro 4 TRIPLE. Not sure on the bottle cage colour as that was a Christmas gift to go on my late Focus Cayo. Might change it to black and white.
I have a new set of Fulcrum Racing 5's with black/white Ultremo zx's which were going to be my summer wheels to go on the Cayo. I will swap these over with the DT Swiss R1850's in a couple of weeks.
I can't find the spec. for the R1850's only RR1850's and they are definitely a different wheel - spoke count to start with. I'll run the R1850's for a couple of weeks to see what they are like.

P1010210.JPG P1010211.JPG P1010212.JPG P1010214.JPG
P1010210.JPG
P1010211.JPG
P1010212.JPG
P1010214.JPG

Top Bottom