Change gear cable in v brake shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My hybrid bike has Shimano v brakes with integrated gear shifters. I think they are also known as trigger shifters. I want to change the gear cable. Youtube videos tells me that I can remove the cover and change the gear cable.

View:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oS7f3R9Bt4

But I simply can not remove one of the small screws. I can remove one but the other is embedded deep.So I bought a new set. It came with the gear cable already inserted.
I want to change the gear cable again but I simply can not remove the small screw.
Is it not meant to be replaced?

What do you mean by you cannot remove the screw? Don't you have the right tool?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMG_0819.JPG
You mean these ones don't you? There are two.
I also had a problem with one, it was badly corroded and the devils own job to remove. The screws are very small and if you burr them it's a real problem.
Might be a case of drilling it.

OP
OP
midliferider
Thank you all for your replies. Now I know that I should be able to remove it.
I do have a standard star head screw driver and I can remove one which is more closer to the surface. I have never attempted drilling in to a nail head.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Forgot to mention I have used a torx to remove these in the past and can be effective. You need to get a bit of weight behind it. If you have a socket set with the torx bit use this pressing down all the time whilst turning.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I had a bike with them type of shifters. If you shift to the lowest gear it lines up the internals so you do not need to remove the covers. You can then feed the cable through.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Mine were 3 x 8speed trigger shifters. Not sure what the OPs are but they look similar to the ones in the video.

Mine were 3 x 8speed trigger shifters. Not sure what the OPs are but they look similar to the ones in the video.
Like I say, this type is different. there is no exit port for the cable and you have to remove the cap. Further, there is a retention mechanism that grip the cable's head and you have to release it with a screwdriver or awl.
This one looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but is a chicken.

OP
OP
midliferider
Just to let you know, I managed to remove both screws on one side. On the other side I have managed to damage the nail head so much it can not be removed. But I forced opened it!. So the screw is missing but the part is held together with one screw. The job done.

Top Bottom