Change hub or wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris__P

HeyI'm out touring in St George Utah and my hub has broken. I'm wondering whether to order a new hub and have a bike shop rebuild the wheel (the spokes and rim are still good) or whether it is better / cheaper to order a complete new wheel? If I order a new wheel, does that mean it is factory made and likely to be not as strong? Its just the cost of having them rebuild the wheel is quite expensive...

Thanks
Chris

sbseven

I would have thought it should cost no more than $20-30 labour for a LBS to rebuild the wheel reusing the spokes and rim (especially if you take it apart first), but total cost may depend on a couple of things:

1. Can you order the exact same hub? A different hub may have a different flange height and then the existing spokes may not be suitable.

2. You say the spokes are in good condition, but can all the nipples be undone with a spoke key? Sometimes, the nipple/spoke interface gets corroded after a time and this makes it more difficult to reuse the spokes.

Even if you need new spokes I'd think it would still be better (and cost effective) to rebuild the existing wheel...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
+1 re sbseven's advice. Additionally

3. It depends on what is broken, sealed bearings or the freehub of the rear wheel might be replaceable. It is far more common for spokes to break than for hub flanges to break.

4. The strength of a wheel is 80% in the build (factory or otherwise) 20% in the parts. Quality factory wheels are strong and robust but they are generally harder to source parts (such as proprietary spokes e.g.) on a tour.

Top Bottom