Change hybrid tyres for road tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ab07ash

New to cycling had a bike for a few years but never really had the time to use it as often as i'd like. So I've now become a lockdown cyclist like so many others :smile:

I'd like to change the chunky hybrid tyres for road tyres so I could use a turbo trainer aswell. But I haven't got a clue what tyres i'm looking for. The current tyres on the bike are stamped 26 x 1.95 to fit HB-575 rim.

Am I just looking for 26 x 1.95 road tyres?

Any info greatly appreciated

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Both Continental and Schwalbe do 26" road tyres that would be suitable, the Contact and Marathon. I think they are both a bit narrower than your existing 1.95 but should give rather better rolling resistance on the road. Both tyres give good puncture resistance.

Slioch

Guru
Welcome to the forum.
26 is the diameter of your tyre, so you want the same size to fit your wheels.
1.95 is the width of the tyre. Generally speaking, the wider the tyre the more friction it creates on the road, and the harder it is to push. 1.95 is quite chunky for just road riding, so you might want to go for something a bit narrower, say 1.50?
Also, turbo trainers can wear tyres quite rapidly, so go for something reasonably priced rather than top-end.
Also also, chunky (knobbly) tyres on turbo trainers can be quite noisy - smoother tyres will be quieter.
Something like the Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.50 should be ok.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its a bit confusing really, because manufacturers jump between imperial and metric for sizes. 1.9 is inches in tyre width. That is a big off road type tyre.. Generally anything between 30-40mm width is a good compromise for comfort and speed. I use Schwalbe G Ones in 40mm. They roll fast have ability to go off road. They do a narrower version called G One Speed which is as described faster.

Have a look at Schwalbe Billy Bonkers, or the Hurricance, big tyres but smoother tread for faster rolling

UK gnome

I am jumping on this question as I too have a similar quandry. I have a Hybrid Bile and the original Duro Brave 26x2.00 tyres are a bit unsafe and I am trying to find a replacement with a similar tread pattern - smooth in the middle with a bit of knobbly along the sides.
A well known car and bike retailer has a tyre that matches the tread pattern but it lists the size as 700x40c (even with the 26 inch filter chosed).
The question is, will this tyre fit and will it be safe as by my mind 40mm is a bit thinner than 2 inch.

If they dont fit, what size do I need to look for and are there any suggestions for retailers who may have suitable tyres for mail order

Attachments

• tyre.PNG
    tyre.PNG
    33.7 KB · Views: 2

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I am jumping on this question as I too have a similar quandry. I have a Hybrid Bile and the original Duro Brave 26x2.00 tyres are a bit unsafe and I am trying to find a replacement with a similar tread pattern - smooth in the middle with a bit of knobbly along the sides.
A well known car and bike retailer has a tyre that matches the tread pattern but it lists the size as 700x40c (even with the 26 inch filter chosed).
The question is, will this tyre fit and will it be safe as by my mind 40mm is a bit thinner than 2 inch.

If they dont fit, what size do I need to look for and are there any suggestions for retailers who may have suitable tyres for mail order
A 700c tyre will be too big. There are plenty of 26 inch tyres on the market.
What sort of tread pattern are you looking for, and what type of riding do you want to do?
When you say the tyres you have are unsafe, how do you mean?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have a Hybrid Bile and the original Duro Brave 26x2.00 tyres are a bit unsafe and I am trying to find a replacement with a similar tread pattern - smooth in the middle with a bit of knobbly along the sides.

It sounds to me like you actually have a rigid MTB rather than a hybrid, as 26" is an MTB size wheel and hybrids generally run 700c wheels with relatively wide rims like touring bikes.
The tyres you want are Schwalbe Land Cruiser either in 26" x 1.75" or 26" x 2.0" sizes. The narrower version will be fractionally lighter, the wider version gives more comfort as it can be run at a lower pressure. They are cheap, tough, and resist punctures.

UK gnome

The bike was a special edition ladies bike with frame and wheels and angles of handlebars etc designed specifically around the female reach etc which is why it has smaller wheels. It isn't a MTB as there is no suspension built into it.

The cycling is roads and cinder paths and maybe over a bit of muddy grass which is why I am looking for a tyre with a 'road' style centre, with a rougher edge to give a bit more grip on loose ground.

Thanks for the tyre recommendation, I found these eventually and have actually ordered them and hopefully they should arrive by the weekend, when, no doubt, it will be rainy and windy.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
UK gnome said:
It isn't a MTB as there is no suspension built into it.

Suspension isn't a requirement for a bike to be classed as an MTB. I own several of them and none have any form of suspension either front or rear, but all have 26" wheels.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
+ 1 for landcruisers, I have used them in the past and they certainly fit the bill, they are heavier than a "road tyre" cheap as chips and are a good compromise they are quite fast rolling, have grip for trails/footpaths and resistant to punctures too.

It sounds to me like you actually have a rigid MTB rather than a hybrid, as 26" is an MTB size wheel and hybrids generally run 700c wheels with relatively wide rims like touring bikes.
The tyres you want are Schwalbe Land Cruiser either in 26" x 1.75" or 26" x 2.0" sizes. The narrower version will be fractionally lighter, the wider version gives more comfort as it can be run at a lower pressure. They are cheap, tough, and resist punctures.

UK gnome

I originally looked at the Hurricane as it had the closest tread pattern to the original, but everywhere I could find didn't have the 26x2 in stock, I was wondering if it was an end of line.

Top Bottom