Changed gear cable, but not working...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi all,

Strange one. My rear gear cable snapped last week, so I got a new one. Fitted it. But it just won't work, it's as if the levers aren't engaging the new cable when I shift up or down. There is no resistance. The inside of the right shifter looks different to the left front one. Am I missing a part?

Right, rear.

Left front

No slack in cable and clamped tightly at rear mech?

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Should the lever still click when "shifting up and down" with no cable installed? because it doesn't.

The left side seems to have a milky coloured insert in where the cable goes, it appears to grip the cable. The right side doesnt seem to have that? Is that normal? And if not, where could it have gone!?

Last edited:

faster

Über Member
Should the lever still click when "shifting up and down" with no cable installed? because it doesn't.

The left side seems to have a milky coloured insert in where the cable goes, it appears to grip the cable. The right side doesnt seem to have that? Is that normal? And if not, where could it have gone!?

It won't necessarily click with no cable installed.

It looks like at the moment the shifter isn't in the correct gear to have the cable installed. It needs to be in top gear (ie the one that corresponds to the smallest sprocket at the back).

This can be difficult when it isn't clicking. Try operating the shifter whilst trying to put some tension on/holding the grey wheel that the cable engages still.

Did the cable break near the shifter? If so, little strands of broken cable can prevent the shifter from working correctly.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
If I pull tight on the cable when installed it really disapears down in there. to the extent its very difficult to get back out. its in the smallest sprocket as best I can. I swiped it left a lot but it's not clicking and there is no feel. Yes it broke up in the sifter somewhere. I havent been able to find the little circle end bit, so this could be fouling it somehow. But I dont see it anywhere.

faster

Über Member
I don't think pulling on the cable will do anything, as it isn't engaged with the mechanism.

I think you need to try to hold the grey wheel part by pressing on it with a small screwdriver. You shouldn't have to use any real force. If you still can't get it to click through the gears I think the old bits of cable must be stuck in the mechanism.

From experience, this is potentially a very difficult problem to fix. Have you tried removing the rest of the rubber hood? It might throw a bit more light on the situation.

Edit: Oops! Just seen your last post!

Top Bottom