Changes in Endoscopy procedure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had a Gastroscopy a few years ago which involved a lot of fussing around and getting dressed in one of those paper gowns.
Just had a second one and procedure was different in that I wore normal clothing and even continued wearing shoes. The whole affair was very relaxed and casual and a stark contrast from before.
You may worry about the possible diagnoses but the procedure is not now something to fear.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Had one recently, quite relaxed. Offered a sedative beforehand, but as I was driving I declined.

Mike_P

Guru
I had one in 2016 and no change of clothing was required. Presume the paper gown was down to a concern of patients throwing up which might have been more prevalent in the past but as miniaturisation of apparatus has occurred has became so rare as to make it not a notable concern.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Had one recently, quite relaxed. Offered a sedative beforehand, but as I was driving I declined.

I took the sedative. I am not that brave particularly after the earlier one.
Another procedure we were told we would be sedated. Never happened and I asked a nurse why not.
" We only do that if you start jumping off the table" she replied
My comment was along the lines of you should have told me in advance and I would certainly have been jumping off.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had one last year. Sedative, gown, the usual.

Some old giffer in the next cubicle got really arsey when he realised a female doctor was doing the procedure. If I weren't sedated I'd have given him a piece of my mind. After all, some chaps pay good money for those sort of jollies.

Slick

Guru
I had one last year. Sedative, gown, the usual.

Some old giffer in the next cubicle got really arsey when he realised a female doctor was doing the procedure. If I weren't sedated I'd have given him a piece of my mind. After all, some chaps pay good money for those sort of jollies.

I was speaking to a doctor who was just doing usual pre op checks, when he asked me, what procedure I was to get. He went into hysterics when I told him it was a prostate massage and a mate at work had offered me 50 quid to take my place. :laugh:

tom73

Guru
I took the sedative. I am not that brave particularly after the earlier one.
Another procedure we were told we would be sedated. Never happened and I asked a nurse why not.
" We only do that if you start jumping off the table" she replied
My comment was along the lines of you should have told me in advance and I would certainly have been jumping off.

In some hospitals not only do nurses assist but advanced nurse practitioners carry them out.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its sometimes the case that the procedure sounds worse than it actually is. I had a bronchioscopy when I had TB...ugh, I wasn't looking forward to that tbf.
On the day, stood up, fully clothed, nasal spray local, camera inserted nasal, swallow as it passed into the airways...it wasn't actually that bad.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I last had an Endoscopy in 2019 and apart from what it found I don't think it was too bad. Do you still have to take laxitives the day before to clear out the colon. I'm that tight I don't think it fully worked 😂

That would be a colonoscopy which would still need laxatives. The gastroscopy needs fasting for seven and one half hours after a very light breakfast if an afternoon job.

Top Bottom