Changing bike during stage of tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul Bromley

Hi,
Don't know anything about pro racing but watching the Giro highlights program the commentators said Quintana changed his bike again

Is this to get an advantage of a change of gear ratios or is it a "real" emergency?

S-Express

Could be any number of reasons, including the two mentioned...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He fell off and took an ill-fitting team-mates to lose as little time as possible. A short while later he got another one (or the original back) from the team car.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
It is also very well known for Pro's to swap bikes on ITT stages as well. e.g. if there's a distance on the flat they'll start on an all out aero TT machine, which then ends with a long hill climb they'll swap to light weight climber bike. They then have to balance the benefit of the right bike versus time taken to swap bikes with team car.

S-Express

It is also very well known for Pro's to swap bikes on ITT stages as well. e.g. if there's a distance on the flat they'll start on an all out aero TT machine, which then ends with a long hill climb they'll swap to light weight climber bike. They then have to balance the benefit of the right bike versus time taken to swap bikes with team car.

Can you think of any examples where this happened? I'm struggling...

Viking

Think Froome did in TdF 2013. Think I can also remember Quintana changing bike last year and it didn't work out. Can't remember which race this was though.
... and in Froome's case they did the change just before the top of the hill so that the mechanic could give him a good shove (I.e. assistance) where it would have most impact on the overall time.

Thanks for the replies. I never knew!

Is this behaviour classed as the norm or is it borderline ahem "acceptable"
It's not really the norm in a time trail, in general they will stay on the tt bike. They only really change to a normal road bike if there is a hill that would be slower to ascend or descend (depending) on a tt bike then the time it takes on the road bike plus the time to change.

oldroadman

Veteran
Not unusual but only for the GC rider and maybe No 2 in a team. What is to know is that TT bikes are uncomfortable (it may be aero but the position is extreme and horrible when climbing) and heavy (9kg is not uncommon) with a lot of the weight on a rear disc wheel. So climbing is a pig, and if there's an option to change for a longer climb, where the time advantage is more likely to exceed lost time changing, then it can be done. Nothing against the rules in that.

Top Bottom