Changing brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timfoster

My 11 year daughter has been using her brother's old mountain bike for a while. He used it a couple of times a few years back, but it sat in the garage unloved for ages. We gave it a good "once over" and got it running for her. It's nothing fancy, just a simple Halfords bike from about 10 years ago. I noticed the other day that she has no front brake. There are no brake pads in the slot at all. It doesn't bother her, but I'd like to get new ones fitted. I see that even cheap Halfords bikes now include discs rather than rubber blocks, and I've seen a few sets of ceramic brakes, but not the old style rubber blocks (apart from on kids bikes).

So, my question is, can I just replace the old block (or where the old block should be) with a ceramic brake?

If changing to use more modern brakes is a big deal, we're probably better off getting a new bike, but if it's a reasonably simple job, I'll give it a whirl. If not, a basic set of rubber blocks from Amazon will do the job, no?

hatler

Guru
A photo would help here.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Don't let her ride without good brakes. The possible consequences are just too serious.

As the bike must have been tinkered with at some point it would be a very good idea to have it checked over by someone who knows bikes.

I hope she enjoys her cycling once the bike is safe!

Ajax Bay

Guru
We gave it a poor "once over" and got it running for her. I noticed the other day that she has no front brake. There are no brake pads in the slot at all.
FTFY and :welcome:
Tim - do not let her ride the bike. As well as being seriously unsafe it is against the law to ride without two effective brakes.
@cougie uk has offered the most practical advice and please infer the obvious from @All uphill's comment.
I will guess these: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

Top Bottom