Changing bulbs to LED question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I need 3 bulbs the equivalent of 100 watt. I understand them to be 10 watt LED.
BUT
I also need 4 small screw fit the equivalent of 6.5 watt......I can't find anything LED that seems to equal that.
Any help appreciated.

D

Deleted member 1258

I need 3 bulbs the equivalent of 100 watt. I understand them to be 10 watt LED.
BUT
I also need 4 small screw fit the equivalent of 6.5 watt......I can't find anything LED that seems to equal that.
Any help appreciated.

I replaced our 100 watt bulbs with these

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Sylvania-LED-GLS-Non-Dimmable-Frosted-B22-Light-Bulb---9W/p/102550

They are showing as out of stock online but are likely to be in stock in store

This makes interesting reading.

https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-which-colour-temperature-.html

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks.
The link tells me that they (9.5 LED) = normal 60 watt. I need brighter than than so maybe 12-15 watt LED ??

12 - 15 watt are likely to be too bright, I originally brought two LED bulbs that were 100 watt equivalent and they were too bright, after a quarter of an hour I had a headache, I put them in the hall and landing and brought the ones in the link and they are plenty bright enough.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I use 15w in the ceiling lights. Bright but not too bright in my opinion. Can't remember where I got them now, probably LED Hut or somewhere I think.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If you are sure of the wattage you need, I have found LED Hut as suggested by @Mo1959 very good. If you are not sure, try a single one from B&Q. But for the price of LEDs nowadays and for the quantity you are looking to buy, going to buy a single bulb probably isn't going to worth it unless you ride there.
Edit: There is also that lighting place on the Alban/J9 retail park.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
12 - 15 watt are likely to be too bright, I originally brought two LED bulbs that were 100 watt equivalent and they were too bright, after a quarter of an hour I had a headache, I put them in the hall and landing and brought the ones in the link and they are plenty bright enough.
Thanks.
You have a large room as well dont you ?

D

Deleted member 1258

Thanks.
You have a large room as well dont you ?

Yes, with three lights in it

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Rather than bright leds, have a look for lights with a wide angle. Typically available in the shops are the likes of Osram with a 36-50 degree arch, what you really need is a 110+ to get a wide spread and light up the room as opposed to just a spot in the room; the lights are less down lights that way.

classic33

Leg End Member
Light sensitivity and the flickering of LED lights are both known effects.

D

Deleted member 1258

Light sensitivity and the flickering of LED lights are both known effects.

I've now got LED's through out the house and don't have any problems with them, that first pair were just too bright. I've got equivalent to 2x60 watt and 1x40 watt in the lounge, the bedrooms are 40 watt equivalent and the 2x100 watt equivalent are in the hall and landing, plus I've got little 25 watt equivalents in the bedside lamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom