Changing cassette size without adjusting chain - advice please/

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuUngar

Hi,
am currently running a 12 -23 I think - just wondering what size cassette I could gp to without having to adjust my chain.

This new cassette will be put on a spare or wheel or use with my turbo.

Any advice on sizes or how to work it out would be great

Cheers

the_mikey

Legendary Member
You may have to adjust or replace the chain, was the chain fitted with a 23t cassette fitted? If the wheel originally had 25t or 28t then you should be able to just swap cassette, however if the chain was fitted while it had a 23t cassette then it's possible it was set up only to work with 23t max. If in doubt, fit a new chain.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
For a turbo you aren't going to run big to big, so there will be some leeway. However if it is for a turbo why would you want to run a different size cassette?

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

Originally it had a 13 - 26 on it which wasn't giving me enough especially on decents.

For a turbo you aren't going to run big to big, so there will be some leeway. However if it is for a turbo why would you want to run a different size cassette?

Because I now have a spare rear wheel so might as well use up my old tyres instead of the one actually on the bike. The main reason is simply economical. Bigger ratio 8 speed cassettes are a lot cheaper than 23s bizarrely even though you get less physical product.

I just want to be doing a quick wheel swap without having to mess about with the chain.

Cheets

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you haven't changed the chain from when you had the original cassette on then you can run a 11:26 as the chain length is in relation to max cogs not the smaller. You might even be able to go bigger at the rear as long as you don't use big front to big rear.

Top Bottom