Changing crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe D

Veteran
Hello,
I'm off work next week so thought I might have a go at changing the crankset as the one on the bike is getting a bit worn in the teeth. This link is the same as the one I have just now. Couple of questions: How easy a job is it for a novice and do I need any special tools? Also, the replacement one seems quite cheap and I don't mind spending a bit more if it's worthwhile. I've seen some chainsets on Wiggle for well over £100 (and some crazy prices like £400). I only cycle to work so don't want to go mad but I wouldn't mind spending say double the £28 for mine if it's going to last twice as long for example. How do I know which ones would fit my bike or are they all a standard fitting?

TIA

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Assuming your current chainset is indeed identical to that in the link (note Altus FC-M311 can come with different chainrings and different bottom bracket interfaces - the one linked has a 48 tooth large ring and is for square tapered bottom bracket), for longevity for up to double the money, if I were you I would stick with that.

The reasons are a) the FC-M311 I believe has steel chainrings, more expensive ones tend to have more alloy which while lighter don't last as long, b) more expensive yet low-mid priced chainsets tend to have splined bottom brackets, such as Shimano's octalink e.g., which in order to accommodate a hollow axle have tiny ball bearings which tend to wear out far quicker than their square tapered counterparts, c) if by changing chainset model you end up having to change bottom bracket, which is likely, you will have to factor that in the cost too.

Have you got all the tools you need e.g. this (do make absolutely sure you remove the silver cap before using it on a square tapered chainset)? For a square tapered chainset guide see this.

Top Bottom