Changing crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi, I'm taking off my compact and square taper BB and replacing with standard and Hollow tech BB, anything to watch out for or tips? Cheers!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You will need to lift your front mech to allow the larger chaing ring if the double is a larger tooth ring than your compact. If this is the case you will also need a new chain as the existing chain will be too short. If your cassette is worn you may find the new chain slips and that will then need to be replaced as well.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
You will need to lift your front mech to allow the larger chaing ring if the double is a larger tooth ring than your compact. If this is the case you will also need a new chain as the existing chain will be too short. If your cassette is worn you may find the new chain slips and that will then need to be replaced as well.
Yeah it's a 53 39 replacing a 50 34, cassette is not very old neither is the chain which I have the spare links that I had to take out when fitting it a few months ago.

Slioch

Guru
Depending on the age of the bike, it may be worth getting an LBS to check that the BB shell is 'faced' - i.e. the two ends are parallel

I'm thinking of doing the same as the OP and replacing square BB with Hollowtech. Does anyone know a ball park ish figure that a LBS would charge for "facing" the BB shell? Is it an easy or a hard job? Thanks.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Managed to change it tonight, quite straightforward apart from my ebay crank is missing the bearing tension plug thingy for the non drive side :angry: so I now need to see if my LBS has one kicking about.
The Ultegra BB didn't come with spacers, so I've just fitted it as is and the Ultegra crankset to it, should there be spacers anywhere?
Had to re adjust front mech and lengthen my chain by 5 links, which seems ok.
image.jpg

Citius

I'm thinking of doing the same as the OP and replacing square BB with Hollowtech. Does anyone know a ball park ish figure that a LBS would charge for "facing" the BB shell? Is it an easy or a hard job? Thanks.

Modern BB shells tend not to need facing - most are machined from billet anyway, so are effectively faced from new.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The chain run on small/small

image.jpg

Mobytek

Not that difficult if you have the tools! Cost wise I wouldn't think that much really £20 or thereabouts....

LOL yeah it is a 20 min job to remove the cranksm face and refit, so probs half hour labour.

But the tools dont pay for themselves and a facing kit is ££ and the cutting heads are £££ (and require maintenance / re sharpening themselves) so the cost has to be spread per use so that raises the cost. Really should only really be the senior mech / knows what they are doing mech that does it as a cutting head + wrong angle = new frame!

If I'm facing, reaming or tapping threads it's a clar workshop, no distractions and dedicated time so price goes up.

Robeh

Managed to change it tonight, quite straightforward apart from my ebay crank is missing the bearing tension plug thingy for the non drive side :angry: so I now need to see if my LBS has one kicking about.
The Ultegra BB didn't come with spacers, so I've just fitted it as is and the Ultegra crankset to it, should there be spacers anywhere?
Had to re adjust front mech and lengthen my chain by 5 links, which seems ok.
View attachment 98445
Road bike shells do not reqire spacers to be fitted betreen shell and BB.
all that is needed is the O rings which fit on the bearing which should have came with the BB.MTB's require spacers
see link....http://www.shimano.com/publish/cont...ile.html/Hollowtech II Crank Installation.pdf

Mobytek

"....my ebay crank is missing the bearing tension plug thingy for the non drive side :angry: so I now need to see if my LBS has one kicking about."

So instead of supporting your LBS with the purchase of the unit, or giving a professional a job and enhancing your relationship with them, you want to go to them when your home remidy has failed, and your cheaper / easier way of buying something has gone wrong.

If they do have one, they probably wont let it go cheap, and next time you take your bike in for some work to be done that is above your skill set I'm pretty sure your job card will be marked with "guy that bought sh!t from ebay and wanted us to sort it out"

If the LBS had failed to supply the plug you'd be straight back to them asking where it was, so why not be going back to the ebay seller with whm you entrusted your hard earned £ to actually do their job and give you the parts that you paid for?

Bit like blaming the local hardware store when IKEA are missing a screw!

bpsmith

Veteran
I find it amusing that we should treat the LBS like we owe them something? Similarly we shouldn't expect them to owe us anything either. They run a business and we are all customers no matter where we normally shop?

If I buy all my clothes in one shop, or online, but buy a single shirt from another shop. I then have a problem with this shirt. Should I expect to be moved to the back of the line for regular shoppers to go in front? Similarly, if the shirt was bought elsewhere, but said shop does garment repairs, and charge accordingly, should I expect a lesser service because it's not their shirt?

I would like to see you guys stand there and let people be served before you and their repairs to be done before yours!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Local businesses do not exist in isolation though, they are part of a community.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
"....my ebay crank is missing the bearing tension plug thingy for the non drive side :angry: so I now need to see if my LBS has one kicking about."

So instead of supporting your LBS with the purchase of the unit, or giving a professional a job and enhancing your relationship with them, you want to go to them when your home remidy has failed, and your cheaper / easier way of buying something has gone wrong.

If they do have one, they probably wont let it go cheap, and next time you take your bike in for some work to be done that is above your skill set I'm pretty sure your job card will be marked with "guy that bought sh!t from ebay and wanted us to sort it out"

If the LBS had failed to supply the plug you'd be straight back to them asking where it was, so why not be going back to the ebay seller with whm you entrusted your hard earned £ to actually do their job and give you the parts that you paid for?

Bit like blaming the local hardware store when IKEA are missing a screw!

Oh please, give me a break!
Have messaged the guy I bought it off, but clearly it would take time for it to be sent if he can find it. I'm impatient and wanted it sorted. LBS was very helpful, helps that a guy working there also competes in the club TT series, they took one out of a boxed complete 6700 series, I bought it for £2.99, they've ordered a couple of replacements from their supplier for their stock. Job done.
I've learnt how to change to a hollow tech lengthen my chain etc etc, they helped me out for an item I needed, I WILL use them again. If they didn't have the item I required I would have tried elsewhere,

Top Bottom