Changing disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

red22

Regular
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I need to change the entire disc brake or whether its possible to just change the caliper?

I've inadvertently bought the first ever model of a Charge Scourer with Tektro disc brakes. They since discovered some issues which make the brakes unadjustable and used Shimano M416A in the actual production.

I've been offered a refund by the seller but since I like the bike I'm contemplating keeping it and changing the brakes but know nothing about disc brakes. Is it possible to just change the calipers and keep the brake discs?

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
You can change the calipers. However, be careful when mixing and matching different makes of lever and caliper and each manufacturer uses a different fluid displacement ratio pre unit of lever movement, so while it'll probably work there's a fair chance it'll be so sharp it'll be almost unusable, or so soggy the levers back on the bars before they work.

OP
OP
R

red22

Regular
You can change the calipers. However, be careful when mixing and matching different makes of lever and caliper and each manufacturer uses a different fluid displacement ratio pre unit of lever movement, so while it'll probably work there's a fair chance it'll be so sharp it'll be almost unusable, or so soggy the levers back on the bars before they work.

I think they're just cable disc brakes rather than hydraulic so would that be as affected?

Top Bottom