Changing down handlebars to more upright position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Echolalia

Veteran
I currently have these down handlebars on my touring bike - was cycling through Warrington this morning, and decided to sit more upright and imagine a different handlebar on the bike. It felt much more comfortable to be sat upright, these down handlebars are too far down for them to feel right. I would like to change them to a flat either bullhorn or butterfly handlebar, is it a case of just swapping everything over? Or do I need to buy new brake/gear levers as well? How can I raise the handlebar too, I have read about flipping the stem and putting a shim but what exactly does this mean? The stem looks to be in one orientation only.

Attachments

• 999W7133 (Large).JPG
    999W7133 (Large).JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 202

zexel

Veteran
Nice write up to flip a stem by 'rustychisel' here.

When you flip the stem put that spacer this is above your stem below it, that will raise the it more.

Depending what angle you have on your stem, doing this should raise it enough to make it more comfortable without spending a lot of money changing it all.

raindog

er.....
By the looks of that stem, turning it over won't make any difference. But you can raise the bars by moving the spacer, which is above the stem, and placing it below. Very quick and easy, but you'll need to adjust the bearings of course.

zexel

Veteran
Is there an echo :tongue:

Actually does it say '0 degrees' on your stem, I can't make it out on your picture?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nice write up to flip a stem by 'rustychisel' here.

When you flip the stem put that spacer this is above your stem below it, that will raise the it more.

Depending what angle you have on your stem, doing this should raise it enough to make it more comfortable without spending a lot of money changing it all.

And you can look at getting a riser stem , you need to make sure you get one with a similar reach to be comfortable.Changing to flat bars can be expensive as you will need a different length stem to accommodate the reach to a flat bar and this can affect handling. You will also probably need to change the shifters for flat bar ones that are compatible so it can work out expensive.

Another option is a riser stem to make your handles higher as well.

stem riser

4200549495_988d667fc8_o.jpg

A riser stem
CYP216.workshop.riser_prev-500-90-500-70.jpg

My commuter with a flipped stem...
(click for a big pic link )

Norm

That does look like a horizontal stem, so flipping it might not offer much. Even if it is, though, buying a different stem shouldn't be more than £20-ish and will take a few minutes to do, whereas buying new bars (and levers etc) will be a lot more expensive and take some time to accomplish.

Aside from cost issues, flat bars might be a step backwards for you, as they give positions which are no more upright than you get already if you ride on the tops and, IMO, are a lot less comfortable than drops. Flat bars have one hand position, with bar ends you might get two. Drops have at least 5 different hand positions (drops, tops, hoods, bends and holding the top of the brake levers) though, giving more flexibility to adjust your body positon to your requirements which change with the ride.

Also, your bike has no bar tape. A good, confortable tape will improve matters too, IMO.

I'd get down to your LBS and see what they have to offer for stems. Look for something shortish (to reduce the reach) and angled (to reduce the drop), they might even let you try before you buy. And get those bars taped up.

**I spent so long writing this that ck got in there with a pic of exactly what I was imagining in that riser stem. £7 from CRC, although I'd use an LBS to get their opinions and possibly to try some alternatives before buying.

OP
OP
Echolalia

Echolalia

Veteran
So the little spacer on the top, can be moved to beneath the stem? I was looking at that and thought it might. The stem says 6 degrees, I'll try flipping it and changing the spacer over. I have bar tape on them, it's just the photo is slightly old. Thanks for all your help bicycle gurus.

zexel

Veteran
My stem is 7 degrees, it was the difference between being comfortable, so worth doing.

Yep put that spacer underneath.

Norm

Take care flipping the stem. Do it with the bike on the ground and don't unweight the front end at all or the stuff (bearings etc) which is hidden in your head tube will become intimately acquainted with the garage floor.

If you at at all unsure, ask a friend or take it to an LBS in a quiet period. Mine would happily swap a stem in exchange for a packet of chocolate Hob Nobs if they had nothing going on at the time.

It takes 90 seconds to do it right, bit it can trash your bike if you mess it up.

spiro

Do it with the bike on the ground and don't unweight the front end at all or the stuff (bearings etc) which is hidden in your head tube will become intimately acquainted with the garage floor.
Another safety measure is to tie the front wheel tightly to the top of the frame so it cant 'pull' everything out even if the bike is lifted off the gorund.

OP
OP
Echolalia

Echolalia

Veteran
Just did it with the bike on it's side on the ground, there was nothing to pull the front wheel out. Seems to have worked. Haven't been out for a ride yet with it though, I'll take it to Southport tomorrow. Here is a picture of the difference, thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• DSC05739.JPG
    DSC05739.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 61

gwhite

Über Member
Just did it with the bike on it's side on the ground, there was nothing to pull the front wheel out. Seems to have worked. Haven't been out for a ride yet with it though, I'll take it to Southport tomorrow. Here is a picture of the difference, thanks for all your help.

Before riding it you should really check that there is no movement in the headset bearings. With the front brake hard on, move the bike back and forwards and feel for movement. By releasing the stem locking bolts for more height, and taking off the pressure on the headset by removing the weight of the front wheel, the h/s bearings may need re-adjusting.

Top Bottom