Changing down handlebars to more upright position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Before riding it you should really check that there is no movement in the headset bearings. With the front brake hard on, move the bike back and forwards and feel for movement. By releasing the stem locking bolts for more height, and taking off the pressure on the headset by removing the weight of the front wheel, the h/s bearings may need re-adjusting.

+1 to that. If you did it with the bike on its side, there's a chance that the bearings have dislodged or that you aren't clamped down hard enough.

I think that the best way to check for loose head bearings is to hold the join between the frame and the forks whilst holding the front brake and rocking the bike, you can easily feel movement which you might not be able to see there.

Another quick check is to hold the front wheel off the ground and move the steering through it's full movement to ensure it is smooth and accurate.

OP
OP
Echolalia

Echolalia

Veteran
Southport and back from Liverpool and I did not want to get off the bike. It is a pleasure to ride now, and no back pain after a few hours in the saddle. Just fitted a brooks flyer to the bike too, so it is like sitting in a really comfy balanced chair now. It just goes!

No movement in the bearings in the frame head. I am having it serviced in at the end of April so I shall ask them to have a look then.

Norm

It sounds like you are all sorted, Echo. :thumbsup:

Keep an eye on the headset, check it every few rides and settle back to enjoy the show. :becool:

Top Bottom