Changing flat bars to drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterStan

Label Required
I know this topic has been discussed before, so apologies if the question has been asked before.
I'm planning on changing the bars on my flat bar road bike, looking at either tiagra or 105 shifters depending on what SWMBO will let me spend, the question I have is this - I currently have an 8 speed cassette, I'd like to go up to 10 speed as on my other bike, can I just change the cassette over when I do the other work (chain will need changing to 10 speed too I'm guessing?) or do I need a different wheel? Obviously a 10 speed cassette will be wider and so will need more room....

Thanks, Stan.

There's ton of threads on it, try searching, but you'd need new deraileurs as well as shifters, cassette and a chain to go from 8sp to 10sp and you'll need new bars, tape and cabling of course too and maybe a new stem. You might also have problems if your flat bar has v brakes and you are intending to use sti's; sti's pull half the amount of cable which a vee brake requires. Mini vees and problem solver travel agents may be used to improve things but it still' wont be perfect.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
HLaB has most of the general stuff covered there, but in answer to your specific question, you should be able to fit a 10sp cassette on your current 8sp wheel, although you might need a spacer to line it up. 10sp cogs and gaps are narrower to squash them into the space.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Frankly, if your knowledge is limited to 'obviously a 10 speed cassette is wider' then I'd recommend you don't go there.
It's easy (if expensive) if you know what you're doing.
If not, it can be highly frustrating...

Top Bottom