Changing Forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
maybe about 5mm

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Ok here lies a the problem - the crown to axle length is the same, but as i have got an intergrated headset the overall length is a bit shorter due to no bottom cups between headtube and fork is this a problem??

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ok here lies a the problem - the crown to axle length is the same, but as i have got an intergrated headset the overall length is a bit shorter due to no bottom cups between headtube and fork is this a problem??

In case there is any misunderstanding A2C for forks is from centre of axle to where the crown race sits so is independent of headset dimension. However if you are changing the headset then the stack height of the bottom cup does affect the geometry, in fact exceptional high (well up to 14mm I think) special bottom cups can be bought for crown/frame clearance issues, but they are very rare.

So if as you said the A2C is the same, and since not many headset bottom cups differ in height by more than a few mm, can you explain what the problem is?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Ok - measured wrong then. From were crown race sits to axle is 6mm shorter than the old forks.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

old fork

FastlaneCrownArea.jpg

New forks

FOPXPCR2_P1.jpg

now you may be able to see my slight problem better in that on the unicrown fork the crown race sits higher than the crwon race on the carbon forks by aprrox 6mm ( not as much as the first pic shows, but was the only pic i could find that illustrates the slight problem

aesthetically it ll looks fine, but is the 6mm difference gonna cause that much of a geometry problem.

Attachments

• FastlaneCrownArea.jpg
    FastlaneCrownArea.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Cheers mate.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Thanks to RAFN for his help with my fork problem - all fitted now and the bike feels so much lighter already - next will be changing the wheels to planet x model c's - they will take another kilo of weight off the bike - will be a nice cool 10kg's then - will also change back cassette to a 13-26 and fit better crank arms - Thinking ULTEGRA SL across the board.

Top Bottom