Changing from 11-28 to either 11-32 or 11-34 cassette...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Is the same gear cable used for both road bikes and MTBs? It's not specific to each, is it?

Gear cables are usually interchangeable, brake cables not so much.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Gear cables are usually interchangeable, brake cables not so much.

Generally yes. Although it can vary. I do seem to remember that the fine print of my SRAM Apex shifters specified a marginally skinnier cable than the usual standard for Shimano shifters. Can't remember the actual numbers.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

UPDATE: front chainring is 50-34 Tiagra, current rear cassette is 11-28 Tiagra (10 speed).

Replacement cassette is 11-34 Tiagra (10 speed) and I will be replacing the chain at the same time.

QUESTION: Do I need to make the new chain a couple of links longer to account for the largest cog on the back? Thanks

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
QUESTION: Do I need to make the new chain a couple of links longer to account for the largest cog on the back? Thanks
Yes.

There are ways to measure the correct chain length. Someone with a better memory than me will be along in a bit.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are you referring to the total number of teeth on the 2 rings (biggest front plus biggest back) +2?

Thread the chain round the big ring and the big sprocket but not thru the mech. See how much chain that needs. Then add 2 full links. Or four half links.

And, if your previous chain length was right that should be 2 full links more than what it was before.

I think

Top Bottom