Changing from 2x10 to 1x

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tharrha

Regular
Hi,

I am planning on changing the gears on my cx. Currently it runs on tiagra 4700 disc groupset. I want to change it to a 1x system so I wouldn't need the front derailleur (which I'm not to satisfied with anyway and barely use it). I know on the front I would need a narrow/wide chainring, but the risk of the chain jumping off would still be there.
I was wondering if I could change the rear derailleur to a clutch mech like a GRX but leaving the tiagra levers. Are they interchangeable? Or any other suggestions?
Eventually I would swap most of the components but I was just thinking on a quick solution.

Thanks for your help.

Sharky

Guru
Upgraded a couple of my bikes to 1x10 drives. The RD worked fine so don't think you will need to change it unless you are going to get an ultra wide cassette.

I went from 50/34 to a single 40 at the front and removed a couple of links from the chain. Kept the ring on the inside position and it changes thru all the gears fine. Chain has never come off with a N/W ring.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"11 speed GRX 810 and 600 are compatible with 9000, 8000, 7000, 6800, 5800 etc. 11 speed road groups - so it obviously uses the 11 speed cable pull ratio.
"10 speed GRX 400 is compatible with the Tiagra 4700 10 speed road group only; it uses the ‘11 speed’ cable pull ratio as well.
"Shimano is nice enough to publish very comprehensive (if complicated) compatibility info: https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-453&acid=C-454
Tiagra 4700 is 'special' (among 10sp) so you're in luck.

weareHKR

yeah, it'll be fine especially if you go Narrow/Wide upfront, like @figbat I bought a cheap chain guide but decided to try it without, never had any issues with it dropping.
A bit different on a mountain bike when the chain is slapping about aggressively, then I would use a clutch mech... :okay:

OP
OP
tharrha

tharrha

Regular
That's awesome, thanks for the replies. In that case I think I'll try with a narrow/wide first and slowly changing things around but that seems the quickest build. And then eventually the rest.

Top Bottom