Changing from a 52/39 to a compact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Shorter chain too, otherwise... no, I don't think you would. Assuming the new chainset is compatible with your existing BB.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Chain length will depend on the number of teeth on the large ring on your front (assuming you don't change the cassette too) - You should be ok with your cage length on your rear mech but worth checking that too. Your BB may be ok - check the length recommended for the replacement chainset - oh and of course the fit (square taper, octalink etc...).

boydj

Legendary Member
You may want to lower the front mech a touch, but it will probably be ok if the change is from 52 to 50 for the large chain ring.

Newman8

You may want to lower the front mech a touch, but it will probably be ok if the change is from 52 to 50 for the large chain ring.

Yes - no need to be fooled into buying a 'compact specific' front mech - lowering your normal one very slightly is ideal.

Sharky

Guru
Don't forget to study the gear tables before you change the front rings. You can achieve similar results by just changing the cassette to one which has a bigger sprocket and this might be an easier/cheaper option.

Sometimes with a compact, I find my self riding right at the top end of the 34 and to go higher I need to change both the front and back at the same time. When I used to ride with a 42-52, I would be able to stay on the 42 ring for most of the day, just changing up/down on the rear changer. Everything is a compromise.

Cheers Keith

Top Bottom