Changing from a triple to double

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2good

Currently running a 9sp triple

Crankset FSA Omega MegaExo, 30/39/50 with a Cassette Shimano HG50 12-25

How easy can i change to a double?

Cheers

fossala

Guru
You will need to change your shifters, front derallier and chainset.
Why do you want to change?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Easy. Don't change onto the inner ring.
Simples.
If you're really bothered about saving a bit of weight, you could remove the inner ring and reset the front mech, but it would be easier to save the 75g or so by getting a haircut and blowing your nose.

I'm guessing you'd prefer a 34/50 or thereabouts?
Changing the shifters may not be strictly necessary as far as I know. (Anyone comments on this?)
With the front mech limited in movement range by the adjustment screws, a triple STI can function on the double chainset pretty well.
You could even try staying with the existing front mech - if it works, it works.
IMHO. I stand to be kowected.

asterix

Comrade Member
I'm guessing you'd prefer a 34/50 or thereabouts?
Changing the shifters may not be strictly necessary as far as I know. (Anyone comments on this?)
With the front mech limited in movement range by the adjustment screws, a triple STI can function on the double chainset pretty well.
You could even try staying with the existing front mech - if it works, it works.
IMHO. I stand to be kowected.

Think you are right. I reset up my last bike as a double using a 105 derailleur that could also handle a triple. It's reach that matters; on a double you might want a big cog on the back that a short-reach changer wouldn't cope with. I kept the front mech as it could do either triple or double. It has bar-end shifter that can do either but I do know that 105 STIs will work fine with a triple or a double, they just won't (or wouldn't) work with an MTB chainset because the gaps are/were different to road chainsets.

I like doubles but in my tourer I need a triple, no question.

yello

I didn't need to, I was able to restrict the mech movement sufficiently with the limit screws.

I switched from triple to compact and needed only to change the bottom bracket. Shifters and mech remained the same. It was a remarkably simple swap and, in my case, one I found well worth doing. Cost me all of maybe £50.

I think (to issue a caveat) that I might have got lucky. It may not always be so simple and is probably a case by case scenario, depending on what your switching from and to.

Top Bottom