Changing from Compact to Standard Chainset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carbon

Veteran
Hello all,

Recently been toying with the idea of moving from a compact (50 / 34) chainset to a standard (53 / 39) chainset........

I'm currently running a compact with a 12 / 23 Cassette, it's pretty flat round my usual routes and I very rarely drop down to the 34 but quite often seem to run out of steam on the 50 especially with a little downhill assistance.

Any opinions / advice welcome on the pro's & con's of making this change?

Cheers.

Chrisz

Über Member
Cons = if you do find some hills they'll be harder work. You may need a slightly longer chain.

Pros = should give you a slightly faster top end. Looks less wimpy :smile: :smile:

02GF74

Über Member
check that you can move the front derailleur higher - i.e. the bottle cage bosses do not get in the way. (I reckon it may need to be lifted a couple of mm at most)

e-rider

crappy member
I'm surprised that 50x12 isn't big enough - you must be doing over 40mph when you spin out.

I'd suggest just changing your 34t chainring to a 39t to give 39/50 - a simple, cheap and effective solution IMO.

And learn to pedal with higher RPM!

Would go well with a 12-25 cassette too.

gavintc

Guru
I am surprised you spin out on a 50-12 gearing, but it is possible on a good downhill section. It may be cheaper to fit a 11-25 cassette than changing the chainrings or alternatively practise increasing your cadence.

monnet

Guru
I'd agree with the sentiments expressed here suggesting a switch to an 11-25 casette. Unless you're racing, there's no real need for a 53/39. I only use my 53x12 on downhills and very fast bits of racing, and even in both these cases it is rare and short lived. Remember 50x11 is a bigger gear than 53x12 so you can get more 'umph' there.

If you end up going up hills you may regret having a 39x23 bottom. I know I have when I haven't had chance to switch my racing block before a Sunday club run!

As Tundragumski points out, you must be really shifting if you're spinning out on 50x12

martint235

Dog on a bike
I did exactly the same thing a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. I had longer cranks fitted too. I've got a couple of hills on my commute and if anything i'd say I'm better at climbing them on the 53/39. Go for it

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Doh, double post !

Svendo

Guru
Another option is to switch chainrings to 36/52, which I used to run until I got a standard 39/53 on the new bike. Front shifing was fine, not quite as smooth as 39/53 but no worse that 34/50 I'd imagine. May well need a longer chain although you can always get away with shorter if you don't use the big ring/bigger sprokets combinations. If you also go for an 11-whatever cassette you get an even bigger gear than 50-11 for those downhill top speeds!

gbb

Legendary Member
Hello all,

Recently been toying with the idea of moving from a compact (50 / 34) chainset to a standard (53 / 39) chainset........

I'm currently running a compact with a 12 / 23 Cassette, it's pretty flat round my usual routes and I very rarely drop down to the 34 but quite often seem to run out of steam on the 50 especially with a little downhill assistance.

Any opinions / advice welcome on the pro's & con's of making this change?

Cheers.

Hello Carbon.
Run out of steam on the 50 ?...do you mean you struggle to keep it going (run out of steam)...or that you're spinning out ? Not quite sure which you mean (sorry, i may be having a dunce moment) I read it as you can't maintain it in the 50 without tiring...but then you say 'especially with downhill assistance'..which infers you're spinning out
If you're tiring and struggling to stay in the 50, just change the 34 to a 39 or 40. Quick, easy, standard tools, and a new inner chainring will cost you maybe £20 max... cheaper than a new cassette, and easier to fit.

OP
OP
Carbon

Carbon

Veteran
Thanks for everyone's views on this, I'm thinking for the few times that the 50 / 12 seems a little lacking, and yes that is 40+ on the downhill bits I might be as well living with it, it doesn't happen that often
icon_wink.gif

I do like the idea of changing the 34 for something a little bigger though, had never thought of that and it seems it might be a useful and cheap solution that might well give me some more useful gears.

Cheers.

jimboalee

Thanks for everyone's views on this, I'm thinking for the few times that the 50 / 12 seems a little lacking, and yes that is 40+ on the downhill bits I might be as well living with it, it doesn't happen that often
icon_wink.gif

I do like the idea of changing the 34 for something a little bigger though, had never thought of that and it seems it might be a useful and cheap solution that might well give me some more useful gears.

Cheers.

Is it a roadrace bike? Thought of a 11 - 21 Ultegra cassette. ( equivalent Campag if you have that ).

Ribble. Buy a pair of tyres with it and get 20% off your order over £50.

That'll be £5 for Jimbo, chaps at Ribble.

Top Bottom