Changing from triple chain set to double/compact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
I have a shimano triple chain set at the moment; the granny ring is virtually never used, as I have become fitter and more experienced.I am not going to replace chainrings needlesly until they have actually worn. When I do however, it would make more sense to go to a double/compact. The dilemma now though, is would I have to replace both the change lever, and the front mechanism to be specific for a double/compact ? Or would I get away with not chainging either both lever or front mech or one or the other ? It all comes down to potentially saving well over £100 I would say...

U

User6179

You can simply take off the granny ring !

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I stand by my advice on the other thread.
If you virtually never use the granny ring, I'd leave it there - by definition, you use it sometimes.
I've never had occasion to wish I didn't have a nice low gear for a long hill.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I changed my Allez triple to a double - 50/34 stronglight impact chainset. Works well and front mech a doddle to adjust. You'd be better off with a shorter bottom bracket probably.......

I'd just leave it Fifelad; there's probably more to it but you need new shifters and you might need a new bb too as well as the new cranks. If you want a wee bit more fit a 42t (middle) and 52t (outer) and with a good cassette IMO youll have a superior gear range. My old sirrus has that set up and I preferred it to the doubles and compacts on my other bikes (the only reason I have them is because thats what was available when they were bought).

Top Bottom