Changing groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adyc

Hi, I was thinking of changing my current groupset to give me a few more gears. Currently I have a 16 speed shimano set (sora) i think on my 2013 Allez.
looking at 105 set (complete). My question is the bottom bracket, will a 105 set fit this bike ? as the cranks will be different to the ones fitted at present. Prob will get my LBS to fit it all.
thanks.

I reckon most shimano bb's are interchangeable at least on road bikes although the new cranks and chainset will also probably fit the current bb. Might not be worth upgrading that until necessary.

uclown2002

Guru
I upgraded my 2011 Allez triple with shimano 2300 to a complete 105 compact without any issues, so you should be fine. Ribble and Merlin are normally very competitive when it comes to complete groupsets.

If your doing a full groupset it should include the chainset & BB, if only the shifters as I am doing (just in case someone pipes up about chain & cassette, them too), you current chainset should work fine. FD should work too though trimming may be a little more critical, I even got a Sora 3300 RD working well with a 13-28 9sp cassette, though I did get a 105 RD (5700GS) the other week, my 9sp right shifter failed at the weekend hence the upgrade not because I really wanted to. as @uclown2002 says Ribble are pretty good.

Top Bottom