Changing handle bars on a Long Haul Trucker..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cnb

Veteran
I have a shoulder problem that makes it painful to ride my LHT with Drop bars and was thinking about fitting riser or straight bars..Does anyone think that this would be a good idea or would it affect the handling...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Is the shoulder problem not cureable?
Doc isn't interested when I talk to him about mine - "you have to expect a few niggles at your age" - but if do a few exercises with a relatively light dumbell it builds up the muscle enough so it isn't painful any more. Trouble is, pain goes away, I stop the exercises, pain comes back and I have to restart the routine.:wacko:
On long rides I found that dropping down further, from the hoods to the tri bars helped - rather counter-intuitive that one, and anyway the tri-bars are off now as they are not allowed on PBP and I need to get used to going without.
More :training::training: for me.

Sharky

Guru
I have a shoulder problem that makes it painful to ride my LHT with Drop bars and was thinking about fitting riser or straight bars..Does anyone think that this would be a good idea or would it affect the handling...

Difficult to suggest anything for others, but I always think that drop bars give more varied positions than straight bars, so I would keep to drops.

I swapped all my deep drop bars to compact bars like these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CI3_zvTo070CFZDKtAod-TsAOA&gclsrc=aw.ds

This was more comfortable for me.
You could also experiment with a pivot stem to vary the height more easily.

I also agree with the post above that clip on tri bars are very comfortable and not just for time trials.

Good luck, keith

OP
OP
cnb

cnb

Veteran
Thanks for the replies..I'm going to fit some riser bars and see how that goes..I know that i'll need new levers and shifters..Good bike though so prob worth it..Thanks again..

KneesUp

Guru
Hope the new bars help with your shoulder.

[enters vulture mode] I need the parts to make the opposite change. Will your bits make it to the 'for sale' section here if you stick with the new bars? [/vulture mode] :smile:

Top Bottom