changing handlebars on mtb: possible? silly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guster

Hi

I am trying to get a new bike specifically because mtb handlebars are doing my back in (and because my mtb weighs a ton)... I've been offered a friend's hybrid that has mtb-style handlebars... is it possible to put different - eg drop - handlebars on a hybrid without damaging it? Is it a silly idea? is it really expensive?

My ideal (hypothetical) hybrid would have a racing-light frame, drop handlebars and off-road fat knobbly tyres; so being offered a hybrid that is essentially a mtb with skinny slick tyres is all the wrong way round...

ideas on handlebar swaps very welcome!

MajorMantra

guster said:
Hi

I am trying to get a new bike specifically because mtb handlebars are doing my back in (and because my mtb weighs a ton)... I've been offered a friend's hybrid that has mtb-style handlebars... is it possible to put different - eg drop - handlebars on a hybrid without damaging it? Is it a silly idea? is it really expensive?

My ideal (hypothetical) hybrid would have a racing-light frame, drop handlebars and off-road fat knobbly tyres; so being offered a hybrid that is essentially a mtb with skinny slick tyres is all the wrong way round...

ideas on handlebar swaps very welcome!

A light cyclocross bike is quite close to what you describe.

As for putting drops on a hybrid you certainly can. Doing a full conversion with combined brake/shift levers is expensive but you could for example do it with bar-end shifters which are almost as easy to use.

Matthew

Bigtwin

Controls are going to be your issue. Can be done by putting them on the tops, but will look odd. Otherwise, start spending.

What you are after is a cross bike.

Bigtwin

guster said:
aha. Didn't know cyclocross bikes existed. Any recommendations?

Yes - get one. I have a Jake the Snake - commuted, raced, trained, toured on it - all great.

Have a google.

Mr Pig

As far as I'm concerned it's my bike and I can do whatever the heck I like to it! Who cares what it looks like, you make your bike as comfortable as you want.

Top Bottom