changing headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I need to change the headset on my Masi. I have never done this before but is it just a matter of removing the broken one and dropping the other in? An additional problem is that apart from the words Ritchey Pro marked on it I have no idea what it is but will any headset match?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
are you replacing bearings or replacing the cups too?

if you're knocking out the cups and fitting a complete new headset, it might be worth getting a shop to fit it for you (mine cost £15 for fitting a few weeks back.

I have, in the past hammered a headset in by hand, but it's hard to get to top and bottom cups completely parallel without a headset tool.

best to take your bike in when 'enquiring' about headset and size in your lbs.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
There are 3 types of headset and within each type several different models (based on the diameter of the headtube) - so you need to buy wisely or get the LBS to sort it.

Unfortunately Ritchey Pro headsets come in all 3 types by the look of it.

If the bearings are broken then you may be able to replace them without buying the rest of the headset - there should be some script on the side telling you what they are (eg 45 x 45)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I need to change the headset on my Masi. I have never done this before but is it just a matter of removing the broken one and dropping the other in? An additional problem is that apart from the words Ritchey Pro marked on it I have no idea what it is but will any headset match?
This useful little utility on the Cane Creek website will help you work out what headset you need. As for fitting one, a headset press can be made with a length of studding, a couple of old sockets, large washers, and some nuts. Cost: £3.00ish last time I made one..

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Thanks for the help everyone aaand who gets the cigar? Chain Reaction has this illustration that shows where to find the markings so that you are sure of getting the right parts. It is the part at the bottom in the picture that is broken and just like Pete says I can buy this set without having to replace the whole thing. So, as Pete already has a cigar I give it to Chain Reaction for the help I couldn't find anywhere else.
62162.jpg

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Now I feel like a complete idiot. What the picture doesn't show (because the bearing covers it) is the break in the washer that is supposed to be there and the part I thought was broken.:shy:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Now I feel like a complete idiot. What the picture doesn't show (because the bearing covers it) is the break in the washer that is supposed to be there and the part I thought was broken.:shy:
Yup...that'll be the compression washer (probably not the correct name, but that's what I call it). When you tighten up the headset it compresses and helps to hold all the components in place.

simon.r

Person

Do you mean the crown race?

Bicycle_headset_(threadless)_exploded_view-en.png

Some crown races are split:

race_hope08.jpg

An excellent idea IMO as it makes it much easier to install and take off.

accountantpete

Brexiteer

Tis split to prevent creaks!

Top Bottom