Changing inner tubes/tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gillian

Hi folks,
Genuine question so hopefully not too many mocking responses! Lol
Female road cyclist, still within my first year of cycling and have gone through a pretty bad phase of punctures of late.
I know how to change an inner tube etc and can do it but really struggle getting the last section of tyre over the rim. I get there eventually but it takes me far too long to be able to fix punctures at the side of the road. For this reason, I am very wary of going out cycling on my own but feel bad having to rely on others if out in a group.
Do any other females have this problem? Is it something that practice will improve, are there any good hints or tips or is it mainly a strength issue! Really keen to know if this is just me that rubbish at it!! Be kind!

Yes, practice, and indeed confidence will help. It is all about belief! I suggest finishing at the valve, which gives you the chance to work the opposite side of the tyre well down into the well of the rim. The little bit of slack you gain by working the tyre into the well is vital. Be patient, work methodically and have faith it will go. It also helps to use a nice flexible folding tyre. My wife uses Schwalbe Ones, and she can deal with punctures on her own.

Tim Hall

The VAR lever @Smokin Joe linked to is very good. You can also try the Pippsy method. Stand alongside the wheel and trap the not-yet-on bit of tyre with the edge of your shoe. Push the wheel away from you, keeping the tyre trapped. It'll ease into place without thumb damage.

More details, with photos, on YACF here.

Lonestar

Veteran

Globalti

Legendary Member
Next time you have the luxury of doing it at home, let the tyre warm up so it's more flexible then sprinkle it with talc, which is the best natural dry lubriucant for sticky rubber. Once you've treated your tyres with talc they will always be easier to remove and refit.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi folks,
Genuine question so hopefully not too many mocking responses! Lol
Female road cyclist, still within my first year of cycling and have gone through a pretty bad phase of punctures of late.
I know how to change an inner tube etc and can do it but really struggle getting the last section of tyre over the rim. I get there eventually but it takes me far too long to be able to fix punctures at the side of the road. For this reason, I am very wary of going out cycling on my own but feel bad having to rely on others if out in a group.
Do any other females have this problem? Is it something that practice will improve, are there any good hints or tips or is it mainly a strength issue! Really keen to know if this is just me that rubbish at it!! Be kind!
some tyre/rim combinations are difficult, others are easy. Generally speaking, if the tyre is not brand new, and it's still difficult the rim is the main problem. New tyres out of the box are always a bit tricky. Easton rims are one of the worst. My Mavic CXP Pro rims fitted with Conti GP4000s II tyres are so easy I can do it easily with no fuss

Ihatehills

Vittoria pit stop or similar is also an option, I've never had to change a tube by the roadside and don't much fancy the idea

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
My technique is to stand above the wheel and grab hold of the far rim, then with my fingers holding onto the rim I push the last segment of reluctant tyre into place using the palm of my hand using a rolling motion. No strain on thumbs and it works. Poves

Ajax Bay

Guru
have gone through a pretty bad phase of punctures of late
OP - lots of good advice above. But why are you going through this 'bad phase of p***tures'? Are you seeking out broken glass and lanes where the buckthorn hedges have just been cut? What tyres are you using? My Continental GP 4 Seasons (28) have been very reliable indeed since fitting in August (3000+km). So maybe you can address this by getting some good (ie with better p***ture protection) tyres on. And if you have, are they pumped to the required pressures? [See the file attached for a useful graph.]

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures2.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom