Changing my stem length to help my position on my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I ride a Specialized Secteur which is a 54 frame and I find that I regularly have to move myself back on my saddle. In hindsight I think when I chose the bike that I should have gone for a 52 frame because being 5'8" tall and with a 31" inside leg I am probably boarder line for the frame.

What I am thinking of doing is changing the stem length to a smaller stem; my thought process being that this will help to seat me further back on my saddle. Do you agree?

Has anyone else encountered this situation and if so what did you do to resolve it?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Is it your saddle angle, perchance? I had to lower the front of my saddle a couple of times, but I had the opposite problem, and I ride a tourer, but with a more aggressive or racy stance on the saddle, with bars as low as they go on a 24" frame. I resolved my problem with a change of seat angle, and lower bars.

Trevor_P

My current ride is a Carrera Virtuoso which is too big for me. I bought from Halfords without really knowing what I was doing. I changed the 110mm stem to an 80, then a 50 which seems to work well.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Yeah I went from a 11 to a 10 on the recommendation of my bike fit, you can also move your saddle forward on the rails.

Best bet is to get a fitting.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Get a proper bike fitting. You are either over stretching or your saddle isnt adjusted correctly. Or both!

Be careful when moving the saddle further forward, as it can have a negative impact on your pedal stroke.

Make sure the seat is how you want it and then just get a shorter stem - you won't notice any major difference in the handling.

I'm on an 80mm stem without any problems.

You can also usually pinch a bit by moving the brake levers slightly back - although you would need to adjust your gear/brake cable.

PK99

Legendary Member

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am 5 foot 7 " and find a 52 frame suits me although i do ride a 54 as a commuter with a shorter 80 mm stem to give me the same set up as my other bike .

vickster

Legendary Member
I am just under 5'10 and ride 54cm frames with a 100mm stem, but we are all different (indeed as are bike geometries!). I am probably longer in the leg and shorter in torso and arms

I had a fitting, just moved the saddle a bit and flipped the stem. Not sure it was worth £150, especially as the saddle was so high it felt extremely precarious stopping quickly in traffic!! I'd try a shorter stem, possibly flipped, possibly more/less spacers before shelling out. Also, if new to roadbikes, you may just need to get used to it

screenman

Legendary Member
I put a longer stem on which pushed me further back on the saddle, this at the advice of a bike fit by Adrian Timmis.

Think of a pyramid, and what would happen to the bottom if you pushed the top down. A week of stretching for 30 minutes a day often makes riding feel more comfortable.

I would also think of a bike fit.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have to say I am 6'3", but I use a 61 cm frame, because the next step up is 64 cm, and that is too big for my size and center of gravity. On the 61 cm frame, My bars are at the headtube, practically, due to long arms and a bit of a racing stance for a touring bike. I agree with @screenman , 30 minutes a day stretching, or even 5 minutes, can make a big difference in your comfort on a bicycle. Bob Anderson has a good book out on the subject, covers every sport and activity with specific stretches. Different stretches for road and mountain biking.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Thanks for all the feedback.

Re the suggestion of stretching, since the start of the year I have been working through the exercises in Tom Danielson's book 'Core Advantage' which has had a big impact on my flexibility, lower back and core strength. Comfort on the bike is not really an issue I just want to try to be in a position of sitting further back in the saddle.

When I had a bike fit about 15 months a go not only was the height of my seat raised but its position was moved back and because at the time my flexibility was not as good as it is now, the stem was flipped, which I have subsequently put back.

Bottom line is that my thoughts have been confirmed and I will change my stem length.

Top Bottom