Changing pedals in Sirrus Elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This may sound a very simple stupid question but I would be grateful for your help.
I recently bought used sirrus elite bike. I want to change the pedals but I am finding it difficult to remove the pedals. The spanner I generally use (I think it is size 14) to change pedals in my other bikes (Triban, Cube and others) does not fit. It is too big. I was under the impression that all pedals use standard size.

I see that the inner end of the pedal has space for a big hexagonal allen key. I have seen some you tube videos which shows that you need to use a hexagonal key to remove pedals. I tried to use it but it is too tight. I don't want to damage the thread so just left it.

What can I do other than taking it to the LBS?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@midliferider i have a selection of allen keys and spanners if you want to venture along the a45 and try any of them

Dr Biggs will get this sorted for you.

FYI, some pedals don't have any facility to accept a pedal spanner and only use the Allen bolt fixings. The secret to removing pedals is firstly make sure you're going the right way, (towards the back of bike on both sides to unscrew), and secondly to make sure you have sufficient leverage*.

FWIW I use T handle Allen wrenches similar to THESE as they have more leverage than standard ones.

*if you don't think you can provide sufficient leverage then make sure you have a healthy supply of first-aid plasters ^_^

Kies

I recently changed my Elite pedals, they had a drop of grease on the threads before putting on. I was amazed at how tight they had become. Removal meant adding a hollow tube to the end of the hex key and a slight tap with a hammer. New pedals have also been greased on the threads

OP
OP
midliferider
I recently changed my Elite pedals, they had a drop of grease on the threads before putting on. I was amazed at how tight they had become. Removal meant adding a hollow tube to the end of the hex key and a slight tap with a hammer. New pedals have also been greased on the threads

I see that you have Sirrus Elite. So I need to use a hex key.
The bike has not been used for more than a year. So I assume that it is just too tight.

Kies

It depends more on the pedal. My look keo classics require a hex key, yet my Shimano M520 mtb pedals require a spanner. Do you know what make/model the pedals your trying to remove are?

We met at the tfl die in last November - i was on the blue Dahon :-)

It depends more on the pedal. My look keo classics require a hex key, yet my Shimano M520 mtb pedals require a spanner.
True, the even dafter thing is they can be different with the same manufacturer. I've used Shimano PD-R540 and 105 pedals, (both SPD_SL), and both use a spanner, then I got giddy and bought Dura-Ace SPD-Sl pedals, and they won't take a spanner, allen wrench only, go figure :wacko:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
good news after a little bit of persuasion @midliferider pedals came of , shame somebody hadnt applied some grease to the threads before putting them on .

must admit was worried at one point if the threads were going to come out as well

Top Bottom