changing rear cassette too a 32

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi recently took my 1989 dawes galaxy to the bike shop they fitted a rear conditioned dralier also changed the rear cassette as it was worn for a new one. they changed it from a 32 to a 28 i was told i would feel little difference when riding, not so. I've noticed a big difference in the bikes ability to climb expecailally when loaded. The bike shop has explained that it was not possible to get a 32 tooth 7 speed for my bike that's why they fitted the 28.

This is spoiling my enjoyment of cycling at the moment and really need to get back to a 32 cassette, can anyone suggest cost affective ways i can achieve this as I'm £120 down already and the bike feels worst than ever when riding.

Many thanks

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Is it a cassette or a screw on freewheel? I'm not sure about getting a 32t cassette but 34t Megarange cassettes/freewheels are availible

If cassette: -
http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-1541-new-shimano-11-34-hg50-7-speed-cassette.aspx

If freewheel: -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-MF-HG...08115831270a0aad490d8b0fd5eb3f5#ht_1400wt_704

or non ebay: -
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=1240&src=froogle

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Pretty sure SRAM do a 12-32 7 speed and Shimano 13-32. I think your LBS needs to try harder, and get the cassette you need. (Or freewheel).
[Edit: checking out the SJS link from mcshroom, on the same page there is a link to an IRD 13-32 7sp freewheel - if it is a freewheel you need it is somewhat more expensive - but available]

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
roundisland said:
Thanks very much for the info, how can i check its ether cassette or free-wheel.

Sorry if its an obvious question.

a good question answered here

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

id guess its a freewheel being a 7 speed don't think 7 speed casettes have been very common for a while but thhere are some out there......

typically as I was typing this someone linked to the same page above !!!

oldbrownjava

Those mega range cassettes look very interesting, but would they work with a standard derailleur?

rh100

I fitted a SRAM 7 speed cassette not so long back, bought it from Halfords of all places for £22:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_193165_langId_-1_categoryId_165540

I did a straight swap for a Shimano cassette that had a lowest cog of 28t, I'm not sure if chain length would be an issue but it worked ok on mine.

I use it with a SRAM 7 speed chain and a Shimano Alivio derailieur, it had an old Acera deraileiur before that.

Originally, the back wheel had a megarange freewheel block, but the new wheel had a cassette freehub, so it would seem the derailieurs work with both.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The rear mech doesn't give a stuff how the sprockets are held on;)
Having tried a Shimano Megarange 14-34 and the SRAM 12-32, I'd go SRAM any day of the week. Shimano has a massive jump from 1st to 2nd gear, whereas SRAM is somewhat more gradual.

TheDoctor said:
The rear mech doesn't give a stuff how the sprockets are held on;)
Having tried a Shimano Megarange 14-34 and the SRAM 12-32, I'd go SRAM any day of the week. Shimano has a massive jump from 1st to 2nd gear, whereas SRAM is somewhat more gradual.
I think my Shimano Megarange was a 11-34, as you said it was too big a jump and I changed mine also for a SRAM 12-32 for the same reason.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
It depends on what transmission you're using. My Campag Veloce 9 speed can't cope with the full megarange as the largest sprocket it will take is 28. My Orbit Harrier has a mix-n-match Campag/SRAM transmission because Orbit (at the time) preferred Campag shifting and Hope hubs (headdesk).

I think Shimano will take a megarange cassette with no problems, but I have a religious aversion to Shimano so only have it on the Hardrock. As long as the rear shifter can cope with a 34 sprocket and the gaps are the same, there's no reason why changing the block on a cassette hub can't be a straight swap. You might not be able to get big to big with the chain, though.

Sam

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
oldbrownjava said:
Those mega range cassettes look very interesting, but would they work with a standard derailleur?

Am unsure what you meant by a "standard" derailleur, but generally you will need a wide range/MTB/SGS rear mech for a 34T cassette so that the derailleur's top pulley does not clash with the sprocket, and so that the mech's pulley cage is long enough to take up the chain slack when you are in small/small (chain ring/cassette sprocket). Furthermore dependent on what cassette you swap from and what the existing chain's length is you might need a new chain - you can check before changing with a chain length calculator.

Top Bottom