Changing rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I am thinking of changing my rear cassette on Scott Speedster from 11 -23 to 12-28 for coping with steep hills /tired legs better.

Apart from the obvious loss of a bit of high speed drive how much difference will i notice?

I dont often run out of steam so not entirely sure its the way to go (I am getting fitter slowly)but on occasions i have felt the need for another gear on hills.

potsy

Rambler
I'm thinking os similar on my Secteur,12-25 to 12-28.Should be do-able with the same derailler(just) just need a longer chain,will do mine when it's time for cassette change rather than now when there's life left in this one(I am a tight northerner:smile:)

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't think the 23 or 25 is made for the average rider. I think it is part of the marketing thing "ride the bike the pros ride". I can manage on a 23 or 25 but it leaves nothing in reserve if you are tired or in unfamiliar territory with unknown hills to conquer. I have changed one of mine to a 11/32 and it is great to have that fallback. Also it is much kinder on the knees. If you change the cassette you will probably also have to change the chain.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Banjo said:
I am thinking of changing my rear cassette on Scott Speedster from 11 -23 to 12-28 for coping with steep hills /tired legs better.

Apart from the obvious loss of a bit of high speed drive how much difference will i notice?

In terms of percentages you'll gain twice as much in the lower gears as you will lose in the higher gears. So, sounds like a good move, but some of your "gaps" will be slightly larger.

Have a look at gear table, work out where you spend most of your time, decide how much of a gap is acceptable, and go from there.

Check capacity of rear mech before you make changes.

Don't be embarrassed to put a big cassette on if that's what you find you want/need. We don't all have the legs to push a 11-23 or 11-25 up big hills all day long.

PpPete

Legendary Member
bigjim said:
I don't think the 23 or 25 is made for the average rider. I think it is part of the marketing thing "ride the bike the pros ride". I can manage on a 23 or 25 but it leaves nothing in reserve if you are tired or in unfamiliar territory with unknown hills to conquer. I have changed one of mine to a 11/32 and it is great to have that fallback. Also it is much kinder on the knees. If you change the cassette you will probably also have to change the chain.

+1
I'm running an 12-30 cassette.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If you change gears during a climb you will notice a bigger gap in some of the gearing - otherwise if you pick a gear before a climb and stick with it you wont notice.

Top Bottom