Changing shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Hi all,
Is it possible to change the shifters on a specialized allez double 2011 because from what I can see the ones on it are awkward to use?
Does it mean replacing everything or just the shift levers (yes I am a newby).

And is it really worth it or would I just be better spending an extra couple of hundred £ on a bike with better shifters?
Cheers, Tom

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
I'd try them before making a decision. If you are talking about the thumb shifter it's not really a problem unless you spend lots of time on the drops. I actually prefer them in winter - easier to use with thick gloves.

You cannot just change the shifters to a higher version. Anything without thumb shifters is more than 8 spd and will not be compatible. I guess you could try a 8spd 105 but that would be well old.

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
Cheers, it's only because I've seen a 2011 specialized allez bike locally for £250 and don't want to spend loads on my first bike if I do t get into it but then don't want to be out off by little things that can be changed.

boydj

Legendary Member
You'll probably find that you'll spend a lot of your time riding on the hoods and Sora shifters work perfectly well. I managed fine for three years with Sora shifters on the first road bike I had that did not use down-tube shifters.

That's a reasonable price for that bike if it's in good condition and you'll soon get used to using the shifters.

Top Bottom