Changing the handlebars on my fixie bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nazmun

Hello. I want to change the handlebars on my fixie. I want road style handlebars with the tape and brake levers.

These are my handlebars:

I know I need SOMETHING like this:
DEDAHBAR250_1_zoom.jpg

I don't know how I would install the brake levers or where to get them from.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks!

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I don't know how I would install the brake levers or where to get them from.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Thanks!

What levers you need depends on what brakes you have. Bars come in various diameters at the point clamped by the stem so that has consequences in sourcing new bars. Finally changing to drop bars can change the geometry significantly and could negatively impact fit and comfort.

OP
OP
Nazmun

Nazmun

What levers you need depends on what brakes you have. Bars come in various diameters at the point clamped by the stem so that has consequences in sourcing new bars. Finally changing to drop bars can change the geometry significantly and could negatively impact fit and comfort.
Both front and rear have caliper brakes.
The handlebar I currently am using has a circumference of 2.9 inches or 7.36 centimetres.
:welcome: to CC

As RAFN points out above, there are many options.

What bike have you got? Lets start from there.

Thank you!

My bike is from Taiwan (according to the guy I bought it from lol). I guess it's an unknown brand since I can't find it on google.
I've got a few pics.

Rear brake caliper:

Front brake caliper:

Front brake lever:

Rear brake lever:

OP
OP
Nazmun

Nazmun

If the circumference of the handlebar is 2.9 inches or 7.36 centimetres.
Then the diameter must be 0.93 inches or 2.34 centimetres.
I used this formula to work it out:
c_over_d.gif

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If the circumference of the handlebar is 2.9 inches or 7.36 centimetres.
Then the diameter must be 0.93 inches or 2.34 centimetres.
I used this formula to work it out:
c_over_d.gif

Good try but you need to get the dimension much more accurate than the above, and you need to find the diameter at the stem's clamp not the grip area. This might give you some idea what are possible. You don't really want to get it wrong because an alloy stem can get weakened if used on wrong sized bars.

OP
OP
Nazmun

Nazmun

Good try but you need to get the dimension much more accurate than the above, and you need to find the diameter at the stem's clamp not the grip area. This might give you some idea what are possible. You don't really want to get it wrong because an alloy stem can get weakened if used on wrong sized bars.
Ah yes. I noticed yesterday that the bit which is clamped is much larger than the rest of the handlebar. I'll measure it again. What is sheldon brown measuring exactly? The circumference or the diameter? :s

Top Bottom