Changing to a larger frame.... what to consider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all.

I currently ride a Raleigh SP comp 2012 which i picked up as a bit of a bargain last year. It is too small for me though (54 cm, even though its quite a "large 54" - and im 6ft), so im thinking about changing the frame out at some point (as it's got shimano 105 groupset already). I was wondering what i should consider when doing this, especially in terms of things like bottom bracket size etc. Im quite competent at the technical side of things so do quite fancy giving it a go. Would quite like to replace full carbon for full carbon, but would consider good ally frame too.

Im hoping not to have to spend too much money, if anything, to make the change. Is this a realistic idea?

If you are technical, sell the Raleigh and pick up the following separately and build
  • frame
  • fork
  • complete groupset including BB
  • Handlebar
  • Stem
  • Headset
  • wheels
They are a lot cheaper, lots of fun, and you got a brand new bike. The hardest part is whacking the crown race into the steerer of the folk and pressing the headset ends to the head tube. All guidance from youtube.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Hi all.

Im hoping not to have to spend too much money, if anything, to make the change. Is this a realistic idea?

Depends how much money is too much. I've recently bought a full carbon Planet X frame for £299, still available on their website. It's an English BB thread as will be your Raleigh so everything will transfer over, apart from the headset as PX use 45 degree bearings. Headsets are cheap enough and easy to fit, you can even cut a slot in the crown race so it will just push on rather than needing pressing.

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
Cheers guys. I was looking at the PX frames as they seemed good value. Id hope to get a bit back from the sale of the raleigh frame so that would be the price range im looking at i think.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Looks to me as though the PX frame would be a downgrade. As with all things, depreciation will have killed the value of your frame. You'd probably be lucky to get £150 for it. I think your best bet is to try to get a second hand bike in your size and flog your current one. You'll lose the least doing that, and could probably upgrade reasonably cheaply.

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
The current frame is, what, 3 or 4 year old tech so i'd hope that the PX one is at least an equivalent swap out. Ideally id like to get an SP Comp frame in the 58 cm, but im guessing finding that is going to be like finding hens teeth. I might just have to suck it up for a bit. I reckon its only just ever so slightly too small for me, which is suprising for a 54cm on a 6fter. The guy who sold it to me is a mate at about 5ft 8 and he found it just a bit too big for him. I suspect its aimed at 5ft 10 ish people (although he does have short legs).

part from the headset as PX use 45 degree bearings. Headsets are cheap enough and easy to fit, you can even cut a slot in the crown race so it will just push on rather than needing pressing.
Won't cutting a notch introduce steering issues, with the felling of a 'pitted' headset

Top Bottom