Changing tyres/wheels for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helly79

I am planning to do a short cycling holiday with my hubby, I don't really want to buy a touring bike as I only brought MTB last year. Was thinking could I change the wheels/Tyres to some which are more suitable to touring or would my MTB bike tyres be ok.

The Tyres which I have at the moment are 26 x 2.3 Continental Speed King on a Carerra Fury. If I am able to change what type of tyres should I use?

Norm

It depends on what sort of daily mileage you are planning and what sort of routes you'll be using.

If you are planning on 100 miles a day on tarmac, there are certainly better options than those tyres. If you are doing 25 miles off road every day, those tyres would be ideal.

If you are sticking to tarmac, then I don't think you need to change your wheels but some tarmac tyres (such as Schwalbe City Jets) will be pumped harder, lighter, narrower and slicker, all of which will make the ride considerably faster, smoother and easier.

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

Hi Norm thanks for the reply hopefully using the national cycling routes, one part does go down a old railway line which is off road then mainly tarmac.

I will have a look at the Schwalbe City Jets.

Many thanks again

Norm

No worries. :sad: I have City Jets in 26x1.5 on an old MTB and they are pretty good tyres for mostly-road riding, I have roads, paths and tracks to negotiate to get into town and they work well.

They'll work on dry trails too, but they aren't too good in wet mud or grass.

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

cool beans just brought a set of Schwalbe City Jets, so will see how it goes thank you for the suggestion and your advice :sad:

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

wow order those City Jet yesterday morning from high on bikes.com they arrived at 8:30 this morning. when I got home from work my hubby help me to fit them and went for a short cycle ride I can feel the different not so much drag can't wait to ride into work tomorrow. So far so good :whistle:

Norm

Excellent, glad that you like them. I was thinking of you / this thread earlier, Helly, as I took my City Jet shod machine into town. There is one bit of my ride which is under trees and I went straight over some glass which I couldn't, or at least didn't, see in the dappled sunlight. Thanks to the puncture protection, which I didn't mention above, I had no problems with the tyres.

I should have said that the puncture protection in them will make them a bit harder to fit / remove but I can still just about do it without levers.

Enjoy the ride. :whistle:

OP
OP
Helly79

Helly79

Thats really good the other week I did the same thing ran over some glass and got a puncture, so wish i had these then lol. great advice thank you

Top Bottom