changing tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
How often do you need to change tyres? My son said yesterday that my tyres have done a lot of work !!! and wondered if like car tyres you need minimun tread ( this is on a hybrid)
Mind you roads here are c*ap

GrasB

Veteran
It's on-nigh impossible to make a bike tyre aquaplane so tread isn't needed on normal roads. On normal roads when you can see tyre carcass or you start getting frequent punctures change the tyre. If you're riding on lose, soft or hard pack surfaces which need some kind of tread to give grip then play it by ear (if you feel like you're loosing control of the bike to easily etc). In either scenario when replacing a tyre you put the new tyre on the front wheel & if that means moving the front tyre on the rear-wheel then so be it.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
What state is the rubber? Is it breaking up or cracking anywhere? Is there any of the canvas (or what else there is under the rubber) showing? Are there any serious cuts in the surface? Are you getting more. Deflationary incidents than previous?
Answering these questions should tell you whether you need to change your tyres.

Mile195

Veteran
I ride with puncture resistant tyres. My last rear tyre I didn't replace until I happened to notice one day there were bits of rubber missing and I was actually riding on the puncture-resistant layer underneath. Ooops. At least I got my money's worth out of it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks guys x I have plenty of life left in the tyres for now xxx
How many miles have you done? My giant has done several thousand miles on utterly awful roads, about to be replaced but because I want something more comfortable, not because they are worn out

What tyres do you have?

Top Bottom