Changing tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
I bought some fresh rubber for the best bike (Conti GP4000 II)

After the England game I thought it would make sense to fit them.
Tyre changing commenced just after the Russia v Croatia game started. Job done just before the final whistle!!!
Never before have I struggled so much to fit a pair of tyres.
Is the job made doubly harder with deeper rims? Running standard Giant PS-1 wheels on my Defy Advanced.

Normally a simple task but I am now dreading getting a puncture due to the difficulty in getting the tyres back on.
Anyone else struggled fitting Conti tyres or is it just me?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
They're a bit tough to fit first time out, but once used they appear to get suppler. You shouldn't have many other issues with them ime.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Odd - I fitted a new GP4000 II this afternoon and it took less than five minutes and didn't need a tyre lever (Campagnolo Zonda wheel)

Yeah it's funny, lots of people report conti's being hard to fit but I've not had a problem.
Michelins, now that's another issue entirely... a pair of Lithions took all I had to get the beggars on - I was almost crying! My hands hurt for days :rolleyes:

Slick

Guru
I bought some fresh rubber for the best bike (Conti GP4000 II)

After the England game I thought it would make sense to fit them.
Tyre changing commenced just after the Russia v Croatia game started. Job done just before the final whistle!!!
Never before have I struggled so much to fit a pair of tyres.
Is the job made doubly harder with deeper rims? Running standard Giant PS-1 wheels on my Defy Advanced.

Normally a simple task but I am now dreading getting a puncture due to the difficulty in getting the tyres back on.
Anyone else struggled fitting Conti tyres or is it just me?
I was the very same when installing them for the first time and like you wasn't looking forward to getting then off if I got a visit. They are good tyres though and visits have been rare until a recent ride through some storm debris on a cycle path I should have known to go nowhere near. It did take a couple of attempts to initially break the bead but once I did it released without any issue and went back on just like any other tyre. I'm sure you will be fine.

Top Bottom