Changing wheels for the first time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StevieEli

Yes, I'm that new. I've just bought myself a 'vintage' road bike which will shortly be in need of new tyres. The only information I had when I bought the bike is that the tyres are 700cc, but I don't know by what. My suspicion is that they're 700x25.

So what wheels do I buy? What wheels can I buy? Being a student, I don't want to spend too much on fixing my bike up, but just enough for me to commute 10 miles without any trouble.

How do I fit these new wheels once I've bought them? I'm adamant that I don't want to be asking for help! I want to be able to do all of the little keep-up tasks myself, and eventually to take modifying my bike(s) much more seriously.

So can anyone recommend me any tyres?

Thank you!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry but you keep mentioning changing wheels? Do you really want to do this or do you just want to change tyres?

If it's tyres and they look like racing tyres then it'll probably take anything between 700x23 and 700x28 possibly even more. As to which tyres you get, there are so many. The more you spend the lighter or more puncture resistant they'll be depending on which way you head. This isn't to say that you can't get many miles of puncture free riding out of a cheap tyre

Tim Hall

Hi. Good first question, and don't be afraid to ask. We all start learning somewhere.

Anyway...you mention getting new wheels in one part of your post and new tyres in another part. Which is it? On the assumption that it's new tyres you need, have a look at the numbers printed on them. If they're 700c x 25 they'll say something like "700c x 25" on them. Clever eh? And they'll also say 25-622. Have a look and report back.

Fitting them. You'll most likely need tyre levers to get the old ones off. You shouldn't need tyre levers to put the new ones on, but there are some combinations of wheel and tyre which even mild swearing has no effect on. The Park Tools website has links to maintenance tasks, including tyre changing. Have a look here for a how to guide.

What is wrong with the existing tyres?

OP
OP
S

StevieEli

Sorry, yes, tyres! I am aware of the difference but I seem to be out-of-body today. The existing tyres are beginning to crack around the edges; I think they'll last a little while longer, but I'd best replace them soon. I'll have a look at the tyres later and get back to you. Thank you for the how-to!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
you will need to see whats written on sidewalls and best option is to go for same size as started that way you will know for sure that they will fit no hassle

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If the tyres show only minimal signs of cracking then I would stick with them as the still have got some life in them but if you can see the carcass underneath then time to change.

Top Bottom