Changing Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JONNYBOGGS12

Hi Also new to the Forum.....I have been cycling for about a year. I am thinking of upgrading my wheels, and I was curious to know....From start to finish, as In.... Between wheels, tyres, hubs, Skewars, new Cog....What do I need to know in order to Uprgrade the Wheelset? I am using a 2010 Scott s30 Speedster, with a mix if Tiagra(fd), and 105(bd) Groupset, and its a 9 Speed(or does this matter?). All information is greatly appreciated. Thanks​

All you need to make sure is you get a Shimano compatible hub in order to re-fit your cassette.

You'll need a CHAINWHIP to remove the cassette off your old rear wheel and a lockring tool like THIS to remove the, ahem, lockring.

You may also need rimtape for your new wheels.

It's dead easy to do and a satisfying job once you've done it.

Demonclimber

Climbing Ninja
Reckon first thing you need to absolutely know is your budget - otherwise you'll always be able to justify spending just that teeny tiny bit more; you'll then find yourself with a set of Carlos Fandango 300mm Deep Rimmed 3 Spoked Uber Wheels. After that it's a minefield as there are approximately 3 billion wheelsets to choose from. Can't really go far wrong with something like Mavic - either a built set or buy the rims and get a friendly bike shop to build for you.

Manonabike

Über Member
Is there anything wrong with your current set of wheels?

There are a few things to consider when replacing wheels:

Your weight, intended use, budget etc.

OP
OP
JONNYBOGGS12

JONNYBOGGS12

My current set are the set that came with the bike.....Alex race 28(20/24)....There bog standard entry level. I Cant afford at the mo. to upgrade the frame, fork, so a colleague of mine recomended the wheelset. My buget is around £ 300.00 all in. I am looking for something lighter, with a very good roll rate. My weight is around 75 kilos. I intend to train quite regularly(every second day--between 40-45 km spins) and in the summer take part in sportives.

Manonabike

Über Member
Planet X might have some wheels in your price range.

I understand they have some nice wheels at very competitive prices but I'm also told that is not always easy nor cheap to find spare parts for them when you need to.

D

Deleted member 20519

All you need to make sure is you get a Shimano compatible hub in order to re-fit your cassette.

You'll need a CHAINWHIP to remove the cassette off your old rear wheel and a lockring tool like THIS to remove the, ahem, lockring.

You may also need rimtape for your new wheels.

It's dead easy to do and a satisfying job once you've done it.

I just pop into the LBS and ask them to do it, I always end up buying some cheap stuff like a water bottle or some brake pads while I'm there as a thank you :blush:

Lee_M

Guru
Reckon first thing you need to absolutely know is your budget - otherwise you'll always be able to justify spending just that teeny tiny bit more; you'll then find yourself with a set of Carlos Fandango 300mm Deep Rimmed 3 Spoked Uber Wheels. After that it's a minefield as there are approximately 3 billion wheelsets to choose from. Can't really go far wrong with something like Mavic - either a built set or buy the rims and get a friendly bike shop to build for you.

absolutely right - in my case it was the new set of Mavic Cosmic SRs at the grand old price of £don't tell the missus

I only went in the bike shop to have a look at new helmets

I just pop into the LBS and ask them to do it, I always end up buying some cheap stuff like a water bottle or some brake pads while I'm there as a thank you :blush:
It's far more satisfying though, (and cheaper too), to do it yourself, plus it's another DIY skill ticked off if you haven't done it before.

Of course if you have no mechanical ability/sympathy/desire* then you might be better off sticking your hand in your pocket at your LBS.

*delete as appropriate :biggrin:

Demonclimber

Climbing Ninja
My current set are the set that came with the bike.....Alex race 28(20/24)....There bog standard entry level. I Cant afford at the mo. to upgrade the frame, fork, so a colleague of mine recomended the wheelset. My buget is around £ 300.00 all in. I am looking for something lighter, with a very good roll rate. My weight is around 75 kilos. I intend to train quite regularly(every second day--between 40-45 km spins) and in the summer take part in sportives.

What about these?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-ksyrium-equipe-clincher-wheelset-1/

Top Bottom