Changing wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
Right had to spend more than I wanted on the wheels about double actually :cursing:. (Don't tell SWMBO)

I have changed to Clinchers, but will get the tubs re-tyred and use them in the summer. The first pair I bought were about £90 and when I tried to fit the rear (the front went in easily first time) it appears that the clincher rims and tyres have an overall larger dia and it kept fouling on the seat tube. (Seems strange that the stays have a shorter length than the forks but what do I know :excl: ) Had the dropouts been angled instead of horizontal I may have had more luck. So back to Grafham cycles (who were excellent i must add.... Expensive but excellent service) and replaced them with a pair of Rayleigh? wheels with 105 hubs.

Refurbished both brakes and rear mech which is shifting nicely, having difficulty with the front mech. Disassembled the lever and found that the cable is jammed into the recess and may have stretched.. Now got difficult time in trying to remove said cable from lever, may give up and buy another one as my patience is wearing out. :banghead:

Took it for a quick spin round the block and rear mech and shifter are working perfectly on the new Shimano 7 speed cassette, strange how I never have problems setting up the rear it's always the front. Anyway I think the BB is shot and it appears that the previous owner has tried some home DIY and rounded the hex cap on the crank so I think I'll take it to Grafham and let them play rather than waste more time.

Buggered the chain by removing 2 extra links than required, however it still works and i may replace if the bike get kept and regularly used. Priority is getting the front mech to work.

FB

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
its all good fun .

and a steep learning curve messing about with bikes

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
Been out for a short ride on the Ciocc, running very well, but does seriously need a repaint and with this rear cassette it needs a new rear mech as the cage isn't long enough to take up the chain slack.

will try and upload an image from tinypic if i can workout how to.. lol

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
SAM_0077.JPG
Can't link to images as the icon is not available so here's restoration phase 1

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi
Im not 100% sure if it is a Columbus SLX Italian tubing or not ? And if you decided to get blasted / repainted by some car repair shop round the corner it will totally de-value if it's a classic frame

Id leave it or if I was to have it re-sprayed use Argos Cycles or another recommended pro bike restorer. OK it could cost £150, though you'll have a frame you could sell on if it has something special about it that is and you wanted rid. Re-spaying bikes your self is fine but not Columbus SLX if it has something special about it that is ?

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
Hi YahudaMoon, yes i'm aware of this, ive emailed Argos for a price, although i'm not sure if i can afford the chrome plating, i may have the forks and stays sprayed another colour. I'm thinking of going black / white or red / white

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
+ 1 for leave as is , it would be a shame to loose chrome . how did you get on riding bike

Excellent, as i said earlier the shimano cassette is to wide for the campy mech so either replace the rear cassette or mech. the rear shifter is now buggered cos the cable nipple is completely stuck in, maybe get a small drill bit and try to remove it. I need a shorter stem, i'm leaning over too much putting weight on my wrists.

The bike handles well though, goes straight, rounds bends at speed, need to look at brakes i feel they could be better set up.

Top Bottom