Changing wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
It's got loads of riding left it in !

Campag 7 speed is apparently no different to Shimano 7 speed so I'd get something like a Planet-X A57 wheelset in silver, a cheap 7 Shimano cassette, and whatever spacer to pack it out ( might be 4.5 mm )

Looks like you will also need some brake calipers? Apart from that, new chain, new cables and you have a very nice rideable bike for under £200.

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
It's got loads of riding left it in !

Campag 7 speed is apparently no different to Shimano 7 speed so I'd get something like a Planet-X A57 wheelset in silver, a cheap 7 Shimano cassette, and whatever spacer to pack it out ( might be 4.5 mm )

Looks like you will also need some brake calipers? Apart from that, new chain, new cables and you have a very nice rideable bike for under £200.

It has some campag brake levers not sure if they'll be wide enough, pic below.

I also have a the rear Mech, would this be suitable with a new shimano cassette

SAM_0064.JPG

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
I'm trying to spot exactly which rear mech that is from here. Obviously if it came with the bike, I'd have thought it would work! Though you seem to be missing the mounting bolt. You can play around with the stop screws to ensure the chain doesn't end up between the cassette and spokes/dropout, and as a bodge any derailleur will work with any freewheel (largest sprocket and overall width notwithstanding) if you can set your downtube levers to non-indexed 'friction' mode. I can't see the brakes being a problem with modern rims as they (rims) are narrower these days.

It looks like a really nice classic bike to me! And the paint doesn't look too bad either, but obv these aren't close-ups. If it was me, I'd get it running for now (a la PpPete) and slowly do it up over time as a project. Maybe ride it for six months and see what your thoughts are regarding a new Boardman? (Don't forget that a bike of this quality would be upwards of two and a half grand in today's money).There's no such thing as too many bikes after all!

Edit: Ah! Here we are! Looks like a Chorus 7/8 speed so it will work.

Thanks Brockers, Why they don't mark their components with a name is beyond me. I do have the mounting bolt i screwed it back into the hanger so i don't lose it!!

I have found these wheels / tyres and would like to know if they would be suitable

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXAL30/planet_x_al30_wheelset

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYCHFOR/challenge_forte_open_tubular_tyre

However i maybe getting confused with the tyres, are they tubed or tubeless

PpPete

Legendary Member
Nothing against that AL30 wheelset in itself (and by the way they look great value) but 20/24 spoke is not in keeping with the rest of the bike (or with the tan sidewalls). A bike of that vintage would (I think) have been unlikely to have less than 32 spokes... hence my pointing you at the A57 rather than any other of the P-X offerings.

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
Nothing against that AL30 wheelset in itself (and by the way they look great value) but 20/24 spoke is not in keeping with the rest of the bike (or with the tan sidewalls). A bike of that vintage would (I think) have been unlikely to have less than 32 spokes... hence my pointing you at the A57 rather than any other of the P-X offerings.

Thanks for the heads up, never considered restoring an old bike so all the info offered is gratefully received.

OP
OP
F

Fat B'stard

Regular
that looks a real gem , why re paint !

calipers should be ok .

bolt it back together as is and try it , before spending a shed load on it

The photo's I have posted do it an immense service, up close its a pile of rust spots especially the chroming on the forks and stays.

Going to my lbs to find some wheels, chain and rear cassette and see if i can get it running this weekend

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
if not try byercycles , justh of bedford , never used them but get good reviews

you could always sell as a projcet and put money towards a n other bike all ready to go !

Top Bottom