Chapel st Leonards to Ingoldmells.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Does anyone know if there is a rideable route between Chapel St Leonards and Ingoldmells, that doesn't involve a hikerbike through deep sand (the missus will be on her ebike or more to the point, i'll be carrying the 25kg ebike if its deep sand ) or getting on the A52...

Does anyone know if there is a rideable route between Chapel St Leonards and Ingoldmells, that doesn't involve a hikerbike through deep sand (the missus will be on her ebike or more to the point, i'll be carrying the 25kg ebike if its deep sand ) or getting on the A52...

Cycle.travel/map appears to show a perfectly acceptable cycle track, mainly labelled 'promenade' with only a small distance labelled 'unsurfaced rough track'; however photos on Geograph.org show a somewhat different reality (of deep sand) and he OS map would make me very suspicious as it is largely a public bridleway ... so no guarantee at all about surfaces, even if the winds and the local authorities have cleared the so-called 'promenade' ...

If you are willing to simply cross the A52 and later travel along no more than 500m of it, you could take a pleasant-ish looking ride via the back lanes through Addlethorpe, then cut across on Rectory Lane towards the A52, which you then have ~500m on before crosssing again to Trunch Lane, another minor road, which then leads you onto other minor roads and into Chapel St Leonards. Almost twice as far in distance than the direct route, but if you want to avoid both the A52 and the 'promenade' entirely, I can't see any way of doing it that wouldn't involve a very, very long journey!
The 500m from Rectory Lane to Trunch Lane don't look particularly pleasant to say the least, but there's a bit of respite in a handy parking place, and the sight lines when crossing the A52 to Trunch Lane look decent enough.
Let's see if I can save the route and link it ... here

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
As Knitty says, the sand is likely to be problem if you take to the sea-facing side of the sea defence bank. There is however a route using roads and a (somewhat bumpy) track which runs behind the defence bank. It's not that pretty at times, but would be much quicker/shorter than heading inland, if distance is a worry.

As Knitty says, the sand is likely to be problem if you take to the sea-facing side of the sea defence bank. There is however a route using roads and a (somewhat bumpy) track which runs behind the defence bank. It's not that pretty at times, but would be much quicker/shorter than heading inland, if distance is a worry.

I found some pics of people on mobility scooters happily trundling along the 'prom' in what looked like about a foot of soft sand, so maybe big fat soft tyres would 'do' for the journey! Wouldn't fancy it on a windy day though!

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Yep cheers folks, I sort of suspected the deep sand scenario, I think routing back into Addlethorpe and then back into Ingoldmells will be the best option. :-)...

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Rough idea...

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_174129_1.jpg
    IMG_20210620_174129_1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 14

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I ran a stretch of that path a few weeks ago (admittedly not CSL-Ing) and my lovely footpath was deep sand for a good stretch of it. I'd not try cycling it.

Top Bottom