Charge Plug 3 2013 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Hi,

Thanks to some excellent advice on this forum a couple of years ago, I bought a 3-speed Charge Plug which I have generally been very happy with. There were a few things I I wanted to change, but the sensible advice was ride it for a while before bothering. To be fair, standard peddles aside, I've remained pretty happy.

However, earlier this year a friend who wants to do the Cambridge-London ride, persuaded me to start joining her on her early Saturday morning training ride. It's no problem keeping up with her on her Hoy Bike hybrid thingy, but now I'm finding the three speeds a bit of pain owing to the large ratio jumps. all the ratios are fine for me alone, but trying to match my pace to someone else, leaves me wanting a ratio (or two) between 2nd and 3rd to keep my cadence up and/or cope with Fen head-winds.

Would swapping out the Sturmey Archer SRF-3 for an SRF-5, be a straight swap plus a new indexed shifter? Indeed, should I think about using it as an opportunity to jump to an Alfine 8-speed etc?

Cheers in advance,

Russell

Top Bottom