Charging a Contour Roam camera on the fly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Has anyone tried this? According to the Contour website it's possible. Would I have to remove the back? And wouldn't that mean losing the water resistance while it was plugged into a power source? Could I just use a USB powerpack powered by dry cells, as sold for mobile phone charging away from wall sockets and car lighter sockets?

I'm thinking that I'd like to log pictures at 1 second intervals on some long rides, so I need battery life way beyond the 3 hours quoted by Contour.

BSRU

A Human Being
Has anyone tried this? According to the Contour website it's possible. Would I have to remove the back? And wouldn't that mean losing the water resistance while it was plugged into a power source? Could I just use a USB powerpack powered by dry cells, as sold for mobile phone charging away from wall sockets and car lighter sockets?

I'm thinking that I'd like to log pictures at 1 second intervals on some long rides, so I need battery life way beyond the 3 hours quoted by Contour.
It is one of the drawbacks of the Roam when compared to the Plus which allows access to the USB port without having to open up the back.
Also bear in mind Contour, in their infinite wisdom, do not have a standard USB connector, it is wired in such a way that a special USB cable is required to charge and record at the same time.

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
It is one of the drawbacks of the Roam when compared to the Plus which allows access to the USB port without having to open up the back.
Also bear in mind Contour, in their infinite wisdom, do not have a standard USB connector, it is wired in such a way that a special USB cable is required to charge and record at the same time.

Ah, thanks for the tip about the special cable/plug required, I had assumed it was just a regular mini or micro USB connector.

The Contour Plus is much more expensive. Maybe there is another more suitable camera for me. My requirements are:
1. Similar picture quality to Contour Roam
2. Able to log pictures at 1 second intervals
3. Replaceable battery, can be run on AA cells, can last a whole day on one charge, or can be charged on the fly

BSRU

A Human Being
Ah, thanks for the tip about the special cable/plug required, I had assumed it was just a regular mini or micro USB connector.

The Contour Plus is much more expensive. Maybe there is another more suitable camera for me. My requirements are:
1. Similar picture quality to Contour Roam
2. Able to log pictures at 1 second intervals
3. Replaceable battery, can be run on AA cells, can last a whole day on one charge, or can be charged on the fly
I have ran a Contour Plus and a GoPro 2 for more than 8 hours using an external battery. The problem with the GoPro is that you need to use the skeleton case to gain access to the USB port which means it cannot be used when it is wet. The Sony has the same limitation, waterproof case prevents access to the USB port.
You could buy one of those bullet cameras with a separate recording unit which can be placed somewhere away from water, which can be externally powered via the USB while recording, not sure if they do time lapse recording though, but with a big memory card and a lower quality setting it will record over 8 hours on one card.
Maybe someone with another type of camera, that does no require a separate waterproof case, may reply about whether theirs is suitable.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I've seen a workaround on youtube for 'correcting' the wiring of a standard USB cable to suit the Contour. All at your own risk, obviously.

Sorry, I don't have a link at the moment.

GC

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I have ran a Contour Plus and a GoPro 2 for more than 8 hours using an external battery. The problem with the GoPro is that you need to use the skeleton case to gain access to the USB port which means it cannot be used when it is wet. The Sony has the same limitation, waterproof case prevents access to the USB port.
You could buy one of those bullet cameras with a separate recording unit which can be placed somewhere away from water, which can be externally powered via the USB while recording, not sure if they do time lapse recording though, but with a big memory card and a lower quality setting it will record over 8 hours on one card.
Maybe someone with another type of camera, that does no require a separate waterproof case, may reply about whether theirs is suitable.

Thanks for that. How did you power the Contour Plus externally? Is the non-camera end of the charging lead a standard USB plug? Do you have a web link for the external power supply you used?

Also, is it the case that the Contour Roam would be OK with its back off as long as it didn't start raining, or would there be other problems with having the back off all day?

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I've seen a workaround on youtube for 'correcting' the wiring of a standard USB cable to suit the Contour. All at your own risk, obviously.

Sorry, I don't have a link at the moment.

GC

Hmmmm. That wouldn't be too much trouble. I have a soldering iron, some heat shrink tubing, and I know how to use them. :highfive:

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks for that. How did you power the Contour Plus externally? Is the non-camera end of the charging lead a standard USB plug? Do you have a web link for the external power supply you used?

Also, is it the case that the Contour Roam would be OK with its back off as long as it didn't start raining, or would there be other problems with having the back off all day?
Contour sell a car charger which has the correctly wired USB connection, I just removed the cigarette lighter adaptor putting a more useful connector on it. I used some 9800mAh 12V lion batteries I bought from China.

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Contour sell a car charger which has the correctly wired USB connection, I just removed the cigarette lighter adaptor putting a more useful connector on it. I used some 9800mAh 12V lion batteries I bought from China.

Great idea! Thanks for that.

John Barnhardt

The mini B USB connector wiring is + (Pins 1 and 4), - (pin 5). Use only 5VDC on this connector as the Contour will convert it to whatever voltage it needs.
The contour wiring ties (pin 4 to pin 1) and thats what makes the contour different. Most USB connectors have power on pins 1+ and 5-.
I made a wooden block same size as the li-on battery and put 3 small brass nails to match the same spacing of the battery terminals. You need to connect a 100K ohm resistor between the middle pin to the ground (-) pin to simulate the thermistor inside the battery. If the middle pin is left open the contour will not turn on because it thinks the battery is too hot. I tried to dismantle an old battery but the plastic header is multilayer and impossible to solder to. I ordered single 18650 3000mah Ultrafire li-on batteries from China and I put it in a one cell battery holder. You can put four of them in parallel but need to get a holder that holds the longer protected cells. I cycle long days and one 18650 cell will work 6 hours for me. If you put many cells together in a pack it can be a fire risk if you crash. Make sure the voltage is 3.7V for the four batteries in parallel or your will fry the contour! Hope that helps, John B

kilokilo

Hi John,
Looks like you used a 3.7v lipo as a backup ... I'm wondering if you can just put 3.7v into the usb cable going to the camera ... observing the connector information you have explained. (Pins 1 and 4), - (pin 5).
kilokilo
Scattante CFR
ASW-27B

kilokilo

In thinking about this, I suspect Contour manufactured the mini USB connector on the car charger cable with the 1 and 4 pin connected. ( I don't have a unit - so don't know for sure.)

Since a normal USB A/B cable only has four wires (no actual wire for the 4 pin) ... you should be able to make up your own cable using a 5 wire mini to mini cable from here.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-2mb2mb-12gl5.html

I'll post my results when completed.

KK

Top Bottom