Charging places

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cakeface

Do people find that it's possible to do a quick battery charge in cafés or pubs or do proprietors not like you doing this? I would be offering to pay for the juice used.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Coffee shops in London seem okay with it. Some now provide table top power and USB sockets.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Charging a mobile is one thing, but you might get a few funny looks if you plonk 5kgs of ebike charger and battery on the coffee shop bench.

Another problem is it will take a while to put any useful charge into the battery, certainly you'd want it charging for nearer two hours than one.

That's a long time to hang around for most people.

Better to manage your rides so you can do them on one charge, or carry a spare battery.

OP
OP
C

cakeface

Thanks Jonny, I hope out here in Pembrokeshire they don't view me as some sort of travelling wizard with evil intent and purpose. (Welsh Dragon I'm only joking I love it here, don't incinerate me!!)

keithmac

Guru
What capacity is your battery?, my little 5ah 36v takes nearly 3 hours to charge from flat. I have a 12ah 36v and that took 6 hours + on first charge..

Be aware that the Bosch compact portable charger WILL give you a top-up charge in a cafe mid-ride - BUT it is incapable of charging a battery from a very low condition, so you are best topping up early on

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Be aware that the Bosch compact portable charger WILL give you a top-up charge in a cafe mid-ride - BUT it is incapable of charging a battery from a very low condition, so you are best topping up early on

Perhaps you've tried it, but given the Bosch system cuts the motor before the battery can go into deep discharge I would be surprised if the travel charger would not charge a 'flat' Bosch battery.

The travel charger is certainly slow, so it might take a few hours to put any meaningful charge into a battery which has been run until the motor cut out.

Top Bottom