Charities?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kovu

Über Member
What Charities do we all support? Anyone have a wristband or anything?

I support Help for Heroes charity have had my band on since i got it a month ago. So anyone else/

i'll support whatever one gives me my next job.

other than that, i'm a member of the RSPB and the WWT.

SamNichols

National autistic society, national trust (although I don't agree with some of their stuff, such as deifying minor british figures beyond all recognition: case in point, Beatrix Potter), Amnesty International and at the moment, Oxfam.

I support a charity by turning up to work there every morning.

I will never, ever give another penny to Amnesty International after the appalling way that they treated my wife when she worked for them last year. Other ex-Amnesty people I know say the same thing. They are a shower of shoots.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I tend to buy a few gifts from Oxfam each year (a goat, a set of school books, that sort of thing), and give a small donation to Shelter each Christmas (note, must do that). And the occasional one off, like the recent Cyclone DEC appeal.

Also, I do a lot of shopping in charity shops, so they all benefit from my meagre spendings....

When I'm settled in a job and have a reliable income, I'd quite like to sponsor a child, but money's a bit tight to be making a commitment at the moment.

Oh, and of course, I ask any recipient of a knitted beastie to bung a couple of quid to Oxfam or something else... And I've got a small stack of knitted vests and bears to send off to a charity in South Africa... (Further note to self - get them sent!)

National Trust is one but I think I'll canel this as I don't like their preserve everything in aspic, approach. I tend to give to appeals and I'd like to sponsor a child or similiar but don't really know where to start. In fact I was thinking of doing the latter soon to teach the kids about 'giving' at Xmas and what it's really about. Any advice appreciated.

NickM

Veteran
http://www.karuna.org/

A charity struggling against religiously inspired discrimination in India.

Not one doing something in this country which ought to be the responsibility of government; not one doing something for animals, designed to appeal to the sentimental; not one which pays fund raisers to accost me in the street with the objective of getting money from me to pay yet more of their kind.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Twenty Inch said:
I support a charity by turning up to work there every morning.

I will never, ever give another penny to Amnesty International after the appalling way that they treated my wife when she worked for them last year. Other ex-Amnesty people I know say the same thing. They are a shower of shoots.

My mother has what seems like hundreds of books in her house, and she is now only partially sighted. It is likely that I may in future have to find a good home for all these books. I thought of Amnesty International, as they have second hand book shops. From what you say, I will have to amend that plan. Does anyone know of a large organisation that would take a very large quantity of books? and sort them, and value them etc, or would Oxfam be able to cope with a large quantity (several hundred at least). There is only so many that we can give away to friends and relatives etc, as not many people have large empty bookcases waiting to be filled. Any suggestions?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I'm sure they would, we have a very large one in Malvern, not a million miles from here. But I am concerned about the quantity involved, and the sheer weight of them for me to transport. Perhaps we need to make further efforts to sort them gradually and then I take them to Oxfam by the couple of boxes full.

SamNichols

Oxfam bookshops are experts in their field, in all honesty. They properly price things, eek out rare items and will dispose of anything that is of little value to them, as any second hand bookseller would do. They'll gladly take boxes of books off your hands, as any good second hand bookseller would. Otherwise, you could perhaps go to a second hand bookseller: many of them do house clearances and would offer you a decent price for them all. Then you can donate that flat rate to whichever charity you see fit. Second hand bookselling isn't a lucrative business, so you can support both the charity and a local seller at the same time.

Top Bottom